walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A hidden gem - with esker, crannog and marshmallows

A hidden gem - with esker, crannog and marshmallows

Postby dogplodder » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:54 pm

Route description: Loch Vaa, near Aviemore

Date walked: 18/08/2018

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 3.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We'd not noticed this loch until we saw the walk on WH and it looked ideal for a short walk with the dog. We parked beside Laggantrygown Cemetery off the A95 between Aviemore and Boat of Garten and followed the path along the esker and then down towards the shore of Loch Vaa.

On the wooded esker
IMG_6585-largec.JPG

Pebble beach with row of stones where we sat later
IMG_6586-largec.JPG

Callie taking a dip
IMG_6587-largec.JPG

Having a good shake
IMG_6588-largec.JPG

Fringed by pines
IMG_6590-largec.JPG

The loch is stocked for fishing and there's an attractive boathouse for storage of boats. When we were there in August the doors were open but when we returned in April the front was barricaded up.

Boathouse
IMG_6591-largec.JPG

We passed the picnic table and found a track leading through the trees which eventually comes to a locked gate. Beyond the gate we turned off to the right and took the second next right turn on a faint path marked by a small boulder. This path leads back towards the loch, which can soon be seen through the trees, now mainly birch interspersed with pine.

IMG_6593-largec.JPG

When a path went off to the right we continued straight on to a broken stile. After the stile there is a slight ascent over a wooded hill giving good views over the loch.

IMG_6596-largec.JPG

Zoomed to island
IMG_6597-largec.JPG

When the path forked we took the branch to the right which descends steeply then climbs beside a fence and leads to another stile before going along the top of an esker until we reached the outward route near to the start.

IMG_6598-largec.JPG

We weren't ready to leave this enchanted spot quite yet so returned to the shoreline to some conveniently placed boulders overlooking the loch. As we sat and enjoyed the peace of the place, Callie snuggled up close. She had turned into an ideal dog for walking in the countryside, never going far from my side and no problem with livestock. One of the conditions of adopting a dog from Labrador Rescue is to have them neutered if they aren't already. Callie was booked in to be spayed a few days after this walk and I sometimes wonder if that hadn't happened, with the restricted exercise which made her act out of character the first time she was allowed off lead again, we might still have her. We will never know. The next two photos Moira took that day are the last we have of her.

39441947_10156524605198788_1510405823224872960c_n.jpg

That beautiful, quizzical labrador face
39441582_10156524605338788_2742836806092324864cc_o.jpg

I had thought at the time it looked a good place to take a group from church so on 30th March 2019 we were back. But one of the group would have struggled with the stiles so we spent some time stone-skimming, beach-combing, fire-building and marshmallow-toasting, before those who wanted to walk did the round of the loch later.

Setting up camp
DSC_0532-largec.JPG

Building a fire well away from the trees
DSC_0536-largec.JPG

Crannog visible far left
DSC_0534-largec.JPG

DSC_0537-largec.JPG

DSC_0539-largec.JPG

Off for a wander while Pete watched the fire
DSC_0543-large.JPG

DSC_0544-largec.JPG

DSC_0546-largec.JPG

A moment for reflection
DSC_0548-largec.JPG

Boathouse front boarded up
DSC_0550-largec.JPG

Picnic time
DSC_0553-largec.JPG

Toasting marshmallows
DSC_0558-largec.JPG

I'm not normally a great fan of marshmallows but the caramelizing effect of the fire makes them something a bit special. Or maybe it's just that everything tastes better outside!

DSC_0557-largec.JPG

In case anyone is wondering, when it was time to leave, the fire was thoroughly stamped out and the place put back to more or less how we found it, minus all the dead wood we had found lying around and burned - and there was plenty more where that had come from. We found no litter when we came and we left none. It would be awful if this place became too popular and all of that changed so there's part of me reluctant to advertise it. But there's not yet any other user's report, so I'll post this, along with the hope that if more folk do come they'll keep this place as unspoiled as they found it.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: A hidden gem - with esker, crannog and marshmallows

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 03, 2019 12:31 pm

dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: A hidden gem - with esker, crannog and marshmallows

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri May 03, 2019 12:39 pm

dogplodder wrote:Mystery of the disappearing loch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-48132901

How strange!

Looks an idyllic spot - I'll make time to take a look at it next time I'm in the area.

TIm
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland