walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dun Caan Disorderly

Dun Caan Disorderly

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:06 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dun Caan (Raasay)

Date walked: 08/04/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 350m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not quite what I had planned but the overcast sky, a cloud-capped Marsco and occasional drizzle on arrival at Skye had me rethinking the Marsco idea. Dun Caan came to mind easily as I'd abandoned a walk there a couple of years ago. Took the car over and went for the shorter route from the north west which we had descended on our previous and longer circuitous walk.

So I knew the start of the route up and that this was an easy angled straight line. Just as well as I got a cold, blustery, drizzly start. Never mind, head down and I was soon back at the point of yesteryear's abandonment. Didn't take too long to descend into the dip before the top and I enjoyed the final zig-zags with the ever improving views that each revealed.

Had a good look round the edges of the summit before about-turning, aiming to catch the 1215 ferry back across to Sconser.

Great view of Ben Tianavaig.

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Dun Caan Disorderly

Postby denfinella » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:04 am

Haha love the title! :lol:
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Dun Caan Disorderly

Postby litljortindan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:05 pm

denfinella wrote:Haha love the title! :lol:

Not an original alas (first heard as nickname for a former footballer called Duncan) but whenever I see Dun Caan that's what I think of. Not sure if there's an actual link to the walk or report but I occasionally uphold the WH silly report title tradition. However, the boulders around the hill are somewhat disorderly.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland