walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vrackie

Ben Vrackie

Postby KieranSri » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 13/04/2019

Time taken: 1 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At 46 I decided it’s about time I do what I’ve been saying I would over the last 3 year. So with the train from Cupar Fife to Pitlochry and accommodation booked, off I went on a brisk but exciting Saturday morning. Having arrived a Pitlochry my first port of call was the mountain warehouse to get some gear, well a fleece top and decent walking trousers, and then I was off. Up hill (west moulin road) and to the official I believe starting point the upper car park, where I could see Ben Vrackie in front of me, excited and raring to go I made my way up, not wanting to make a race to the top ( how it would of been done in my younger days) I stopped along the way taking in the views of Pitlochry below and the Munro’s corbetts Graham’s and Donald’s in the near and far distance. Though there was a feel good factor I wasn’t hit by that moment of well whatever that moment I was expecting was. Onwards and upwards I continued passing only a few people on the way, as I approached the top of Ben Vrackie the wind definitely got up and I was on my hands and knees to touch the monument at its peak, a little scary and exhilarating at the same time, though that moment was exciting it still wasn’t the moment I had been expecting, So full with joy that I did the walk to the top, i made my way back down deciding to take the Killiekrankie route to lengthen the walk and take in the beautiful views. So about 5 mins from the top I stopped and looked off into the distance, it was at that point I gazed upon the snow capped mountains in the distance, honey coloured by the high sun, my mind was silent, the sound of the chilled breeze a distant sky lark and nature encompassed me, from that point where I stood I felt I was one complete with nature, everything I saw and felt emanated from where I stood, that was the moment I will treasure forever, the rest of the way another 3 and half hours was done with that thought still emblazoned throughout me.
That’s all I can say except I found peace up there on Ben Vrackie and a oneness with Mother Nature no separation just one sentient being, very humble
Kieran
KieranSri
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Re: Ben Vrackie

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:13 am

Yes thats what its all about. It's a great hill. It has a proper mountain shape when seen from the railway station. The Moulin is a good stopping point for refreshments too if travelling by train. :D
Sunset tripper

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland