walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

John Muir Way Stage 7

John Muir Way Stage 7

Postby gerardwilkie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Route description: South Queensferry to Edinburgh

Date walked: 15/04/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 291m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I’d been putting off doing this walk for a while, but found it quite enjoyable. The walk between Queensferry and Cramond follows th3 coast most of the way, and was very pleasant. The stretch between Cramond and Corstorphine hill was rather dull though - mainly through housing estates and up Clermiston Hill.The path was closed at Davidson’s Mains Park for gas works, so I had to do a lengthy detour up Quality Street and backtracking down the side of the very busy A90. Once at the top of Clermiston Hill the views were superb and the path followed the zoo fence - I got to see some zebra, which is something you don’t expect to see on a walk in Scotland. The path around Murrayfield seemed to go around in circles a bit - I’m sure they could shorten that section. It was a long walk at 25km , but not my favourite stretch of the John Muir Way so far. Over the next few weeks I’m hoping to complete the east coast sections too.
gerardwilkie
Ambler

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland