walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The "Singhing Sherpa" leads 5 on to Slioch

The "Singhing Sherpa" leads 5 on to Slioch

Postby dibs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:50 am

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 06/04/2019

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1120m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Here we go, after many years on here I am embarrassed to say this is my first walk report. The name of this report was to be 8 to go as we were aptly named in the Quiz on the Saturday night, as Slioch left me with 8 Munro's to go till completion!

I have opted for a different title due to the change in Parminder in the last few days and while we wait for the blood test report to come back, he has turned into a whippet up the hills, which isn't amazing it is astounding. The tests will be back from some Russian lab soon and we will share the result with all.

So with route plans being discussed for a week or two before the Spring Meet at Applecross, it was decided we would do Slioch on the Saturday of the meet weekend. Martin (FifeFlyer) was driving so travel time would be minimal where ever we were going, of course barring any dear incidents at 70+mph. The Friday turned into being a big day on the Sgur's at Achnashellach with a fair bit soft snow and high winds. We debated back at the hostel Saturdays plans and I knew my other walking friends were doing MCD (Maol Chean-Dearg) and it may have been a shorter day given the high winds. We decided we would keep with the original plan and still do Slioch, no pressure from me as I know I would have another day to try it before my completion and Ali and John still need to do it too who are completing at the same time.

My real urge to do Slioch was after doing the Fisherfields in May 2016 and having great weather got loads of photos of Slioch. I know wanted the great photos of the 5 Munro's from Slioch with some snow hats on, sounded great. Well the weather would play the usual games with us and it is just a case of taking what you get at the time.

While finalising our plans for the day, Ross McGowan and Garry Collins decided they wanted to do Slioch too and of course just missing Steve Smart due to Illness we almost had the full quiz team together so sounded a great day to be had. The hill was only new for me and Garry and would make up part of Martin's 2nd round of Munro's (nutter eh).

We were doing the WH route, but due to high winds we would re trace our steps from the summit as the circular route would have the winds straight in our faces on the return. Parminder, like the day before set the pace and went so fast he missed the exit to go up the hill from the Loch. We managed to pull him back and then he was off again like a clock work train out of control. There is something really different about this boy, not sure what he is on but myself and Garry could have done with some of it. Garry was pleased to hear after the tenko march along the Loch that I would stop a lot on the ascent as I usually do. I walk fast then stop for a few seconds until I get to where I am going, Garry felt he had some company but was not too enamoured with how quickly I set off again, so Ross kindly stayed back a bit with him. Garry hadn't been out for a few weeks and this was Ross's first Munro in more than 6 months, but he is still much fitter than me.

Enough of the blurb and on to some pictures of the day.

So I thought this was Slioch, oh no much more to see and ascend

The walk in near the start

Looks like last of the summer wine, well after a 5k walk in time for a rest, Parmider already on his way up the hill.

One of the locals

Parminder demanding an arty photo

Nice waterfall before Parminder invaded.

The way ahead up to the large Plateau

Looking back down to the Loch and the path in

Becoming the norm for the weekend, Parminder striding on

almost there at the Plateau

Phew there now and the target is in sight

We would ascend at the end of the ridge in the middle of the picture there is a nice hairpin path up to the lochans. I was also promised a lovely little island by Mr Beswick. I was soon to be disappointed, nice but not what I had in my head. Desert island discs and a lovely beach with a bar??

There we are

Looking back over the vast Coire

The lump that I thought was Slioch to start, glad I didnt ascend it.

A quick breath and some pics

Starting the climb from the Lochan with no bar or music

After ascending the first peak with the cairn you are met with the real target, false summits folks call these, I have another name for them. As you can see Parminder striding ahead with Martin in tow.

The summit reached

Martin getting some summit time before Parminder can interfere :roll:

Cant remember the joke but Parminder was in it so it wasnt straight english.

The normal route off to give the circular top, but the wind was against us going that way so headed back the way we came up to make it a bit easier.

Garry makes the summit with much relief, well done.

And now what I was really looking for a view of the Fisherfields, ah well not today.

A Cornice about to disappear

The route back to the first top and then to the Lochans with desert Island discs playing hopefully.

A well earned break on the way back down

Now I thought Parminder was just drugged up but pole dancing seemed to be on the agenda.

Or was it a new Jaxter pose, that is as close as he is getting to it.

The bridge does need some TLC, just as well there is a metal structure securing it.

Rescue Helicopter staying low due to the high winds

All in all a great day with another new Munro done and 3rd position in the quiz, come back Steve Smart we missed you. Oh and Parminder dont change we love you the way your are :wink:
Last edited by dibs on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Re: The "Singhing Sherpa" leads 5 on to Slioch

Postby PeteR » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:25 pm

I (still) have only three to go :lol: :lol:

I'm looking forward to the rest of the photos, once you've mastered it.

And on the quizz front I believe I more than exceeded my required one correct answer, so I'm not taking the blame for the failure to win :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dibs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 pm

You did do well Pete, under promised again :clap:
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Put the flags out everyone - George has finally done a walk report and he loved every minute of it.

Excellent blurb George, like you I am puzzled by the change in Parminder - all of a sudden he is nigh on impossible to keep up with. Maybe he has been secretly taking his grandchildren up in the Pentlands and making them keep up with him. There has to be an explanation - cue Mr Singh!!
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby arabgarry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Great report George :clap: Hope I can get out with you guys again soon.
arabgarry
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:17
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:14

Postby Magoo82 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Good stuff, George. It was a windy old day once we were up on the high ground but that corrie and the high lochan are an absolute delight.

I'm not normally one for cups of tea first thing in the morning but Parminder can make one for me at Ratagan provided WADA don't show up :lol:
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby parminder » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Dibs...first WH report...what can I say...EXCELLENTEEE,, Twice you guys have fed me a MacDonalds breakfast and twice I have acquired a Herculean pace..So guys get your wallets out.. My walking colleagues on the day and my fellow walkhighlanders at the meet...Big THANKS.. Looking forward to the next meet... ::clap: :clap:
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:23
Fionas:25   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:108   Hewitts:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland