walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chochuill

Beinn a'Chochuill

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill

Date walked: 30/03/2019

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

If the Munros were ranked for providing extraordinary views for not much effort, then I'd put Beinn a'Chochuill near the top of the table.

I had a good MWIS forecast for the Sunday, so decided on Ben Starav, a hill I have long admired. So for the Saturday, I wanted something fairly easy that would not tire out my metal knee before Starav. With an ok-ish forecast for western Argyll, Beinn a'Chochuill (without Beinn Eunaich) seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked near the bridge before Castles Farm. Cloud was topping the Dalmally Horseshoe, much as I expected from the forecast.

ImageIMG_1100 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

My start was delayed by watching a treecreeper working over the trunk of this tree for several minutes. Of course as soon as I got my camera out it flew off.

ImageIMG_1101 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I was more successful with domesticated creatures. This is the pond at Castles Farm.

ImageIMG_1102 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Yellow is the must-have colour for accessories this season.

ImageIMG_1103 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The gorse thinks so too.

ImageIMG_1206 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Th track took me easily to the cairn marking the start of the path up the south-east ridge of Beinn a'Chochuill.

From here, the little path was a delight to follow - unfolding ahead of me, a few steps at a time. I am a very slow walker, but it seemed no time at all that I had a fine view back down the valley of my ascent route, with a bit of Loch Awe and Kilchurn Castle in the distance.

ImageIMG_1220 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Sron an Isean from the same spot.

ImageIMG_1217 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

As I climbed, the peaks of the Ben Cruachan group were revealed, one after another - Stob Dearg was the first major summit to appear.

ImageIMG_1227 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Beinn Eunaich and the valley of the Allt Lairig Ianachain - my planned descent route.Ben Lui in the distance.

ImageIMG_1231 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Higher up, the path gave me a side view of the Dalmally Horseshoe - Sron an Isean almost completely hiding Stob Daimh from this angle, and Stob Garbh's north-eastern crags looking impressive.

ImageIMG_1246 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The upper ridge merges into the main mass of the hill, and I headed for point 896m on Beinn Chochuill's east ridge. After the grassy, sunny slopes I'd climbed, the sudden view to the north was a revelation.

ImageIMG_1356 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking from the same spot towards Beinn a'Chochuill's summit ridge.

ImageIMG_1260 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

From here, the walk was absolute perfection.

What I loved was not just the quality of the views to be seen all around from this long easy grassy ridge, but their variety.

Behind me, curving ridges led the eye to the southern Highlands.

ImageIMG_1294 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

To my right, there were views towards Loch Etive and the hills of Appin.

ImageIMG_1287 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

To my left, there was an ever-changing view of the massed Cruachan peaks, looking truly Alpine - they reminding me of views of the Weisshorn group from across the Zermatt valley.

ImageIMG_1276 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The ridge ahead

ImageIMG_1297 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The ridge-top cornice just east of the summit

ImageIMG_1299 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The cairn

ImageIMG_1300 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A few yards west of the cairn there was a patch of short-cropped grass like a bowling green, which had some of the finest views of all - this is looking down the west ridge towards Loch Etive.

ImageIMG_1312 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

South to the highest of the Ben Cruachan peaks - from here, they looked colossal.

ImageIMG_1315 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

East across a sea of ridges to Ben More, Stob Binnein and Ben Lui, with Cruach Ardrain peeping over its shoulder.

ImageIMG_1325 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A wider view of the same scene.

ImageIMG_1331 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

North across Glen Kinglass, with a skyline of the Glen Etive hills, the Blackmount and the Bridge of Orchy hills.

ImageIMG_1351 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Eventually I had to set off back down the hill. A last fond look back at the summit...

ImageIMG_1352 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

From the Lairig Ianachain - a squall over Stob Ghabhar

ImageIMG_1365 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The descent into the corrie was pathless but very easy. I followed the Allt Lairig Ianachain, a beautiful stream with many falls and pools.

ImageIMG_1372 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1382 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

From the valley, I could see clouds gathering over Sron an Isean, but I was in sunshine almost all the way down.

ImageIMG_1374 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I came to one of the hidden features of these hills - a tunnel leading down into the Cruachan Pumped Storage Scheme. Or possibly into the lair of a Bond villain.

ImageIMG_1396 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The stream and pool near the tunnel.

ImageIMG_1373 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

From the mouth of the tunnel, a good track led back to join up with my outward route.

ImageIMG_1398 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The new monarch of the glen.

ImageIMG_1399 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I was soon back near Castles Farm. Despite the snow on the peaks above, these woods seemed to be on the edge of Spring.

ImageIMG_1413 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Industrial scenes and natural beauty.

ImageIMG_1419 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1423 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Evening light on Loch Awe.

ImageIMG_1436 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1437 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Sunset over Beinn a'Bhuiridh

ImageIMG_1442 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr
Last edited by HalfManHalfTitanium on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: If Carlsberg made walks... Beinn a'Chochuill

Postby prog99 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 pm

If Carlsberg made walks they'd be like watered down p**s though.
Nice pics.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland