walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Garry curious

Loch Garry curious

Postby U059361 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Route description: Meall na Leitreach, from Dalnaspidal

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Leitreach

Date walked: 17/04/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 523m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did this walk solely to get another viewpoint on Loch Garry, especially to see what it was like at the other end that cannot be seen from the A9. It was a soggy climb up the rough track as described on WH. I'm glad I put on my winter boots as although boggy and cut up by the track, it didn't bother the boots any. Once up top it is better walking. I walked over to the edge of the top till I could see the loch below. I then contoured around till I reached the track to climb up to the final top. I was disappointed to find I still couldn't see Loch Garry so I walked over to a small top further over and finally got my view and photos. I then returned to the track and back down. Had lunch before the final drop, out of the wind and in the sun. On reaching the track, I walked on to take another photo of the loch and the surrounding hills. All there detours added to the distance and height climbed. Saw mountain hares up top, part way through losing their winter coats. Grouse, ptarmigan, pink footed geese around the lodge, with oyster catchers and peewits.
ImageDam with Sow of Atholl by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLoch Garry by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageDalnaspidal from Meall na Leitreach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageTrack to Loch Garry by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland