walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Good Friday - Meall Gorm and Craig Choinnich

A Good Friday - Meall Gorm and Craig Choinnich

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Date walked: 19/04/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 490m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast very good, so an extra day out to knock off Meall Gorm, missed out on Tuesday. We threw in Craig Choinnich to make the trip worthwhile..

MEALL GORM AND CRAIG of INCHNABOBART

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Headed off to Spittal of Glenmuick to a nearly-full carpark with Gordon coughing up the £4 parking fee.
Seemed a lot and we fully expected a boxing glove to shoot out of the machine as our "free gift" !
Suitably denuded of our cash, we headed off across to Alt-na-Giubhsaich in blazing sunshine and a warm breeze.
An estate guy on a quad passed us with a powerfull looking rifle slung over his shoulder with tele-sights and a silencer. We wondered what he could be shooting at this time of year ? The Glenmuick herd of deer were grazing down the glen a bit just now.
Counter-intuitively we turned right at Alt-na-Giubhsaich down the glen towards Inchnabobart - now there's a name to conjure with !
It always reminds me of the Clay doo shooting meets in Angus, back in the 70's when the keepers came from near and far for a dram and a news. This keeper had a laugh like a braying donkey that could be heard all the way from the beer tent and I always associate him with Inchnabobart ( probably a completely different keeper ) But the name stuck in my head.
The legends John & Margaret Robertson stayed at the Spittal in those days and I used to visit them occasionally with my father-in-law who lived in Glen Clova, ( who was Margarets's brother.)
We were glad of the shade of the trees as we walked along the track to Meall Gorm, passing a couple of granite mileposts and a a couple of pony tethering posts before we cut off up Meall Gorm.

30 Mile AB milepost on Inchnabobart track.jpg
30mile "A B" milepost on the Inchnabobart track

The NW slope had fairly recently had a heather burn, so we took advantage of this and made an easy ascent to the top. There were great views across to Bheinn a Bhuird and Ben Aan, with Cac carn Beag of Lochnagar keeking round the flank of Conachcraig, a corbett I'd done with my eldest daughter Nicola a few years previously. To the north we spotted a herd of deer on the crest of Craig Megen, and beyond the Coyles of Muick.

Dyslexic milepost by the summit strainer on Meall Gordm.jpg
Dyslexic milepost by the strainer at the top of Meall Gorm

GordonB checking the track at the top of Meall Gorm.JPG
GordonB checking the route at the top of Meall Gorm

As the breeze was blowing from the south, we headed down to the lee slope of Craig of Inchnabobart and found a warm slab to stretch out on and have our piece. At this point, we spotted some shielings on the SE flank of Meall Gorm and mused at some length about the hardy cheils that occupied them in days of yore.

The Inchnabobart luncheon slab.jpg
The Inchnabobart luncheon slab

Shielings on SE of Meall Gorm.jpg
Sheilings on the SE slope of Meall Gorm

We continued back over Craig of Inchnabobart ( you see - I even like typing it ), descending easily to the track by heather burns. On the way, we tested out this muckle stane that looked like an armchair.

Coyles o Muick from Inchnabobart.jpg
Coyles o Muick from the top of Craig of Inchnabobart

Inchnabobart armchair stane.JPG
Craig o Inchnabobart armchair stane

On the way back to the car park, a landrover was parked by the bridge over the river Muick. An auld guy with a badge on his shirt and a young lassie were flying a drone over the deer herd, which was working its way back up the glen.
The auld yin ( rather un-necessarliy ) advised us to keep our dog under control as the deer were working their way back to grazing by Loch Muick. I obliged by putting Harvey back on the leash for the last few hundred metres to the car.
Back at the Spittal, the car parks were full and cars were parked at the side of the road for about half a mile down the glen road.
We unfrocked and headed off for Braemar with the car AC on full blast.

CREAG CHOINNICH
Managed to squeeze on to the grass verge at the gate to the path.
GordonC had ascended this Hump many times as Braemar is on his list of preferred sites for his caravan.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

He headed off up the direct route among the shady scots pines. We were so confident , we left our packs behind for this short end-of-day excursion.
( or could it have been that we were getting tired ? )

GordonC sets off up the path to Choinnich.jpg
GordonC sets off up th Choinnich shady path

GordonC taking in the view from Choinnich.jpg
GordonC taking in the view from the Choinnich path

The views from the top were stunning. Now I knew why Jim Lyon made it his favourite hill. I'd never seen Braemar like this before.
GordonC gave me a history lesson on all the buildings and paths/tracks/roads we could see. The only building I recognised was the Golf clubhouse which I'd visited on a few Company outings. What a viewpoint ! GordonC called me over to get a great view of Invercauld house.

GordonB gazing up the Dee glen.JPG
GordonB gazing up the lower glen o Dee

GordonB pretending he's nae tired.JPG
GordonB pretending he's nae tired

Beinn a Bhuird and Ben Aan from Choinnich.jpg
Bheinn a Bhuirdh & Ben Aan from Choinnich

Invercauld from Craig Choinnich.jpg
Invercauld House from Craig Choinnich

Had to get down to cool my overheating feet. What a day ! If this is global warming - bring it on !
I'm running out of adjectives to describe how fortunate we've been with this winter/spring weather, but as I write this report up, I'm positively glowing from the effects of the spring sun. Fit another braw day !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland