walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hitting 150 in Glen Etive

Hitting 150 in Glen Etive

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 pm

Route description: Beinn Maol Chaluim, from Glen Etive

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Maol Chaluim

Date walked: 08/04/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 9.6 km

Ascent: 877m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Spring 2019 didn't disappoint. After a cold and windy spell in the first days of April, we were gifted with loads of sunny weather for the whole second week. Lucky us, we could take advantage of good conditions to climb many new hills and re-visit some old friends, too.

We started on Monday with a quick visit to Glen Etive. WE still had three Corbetts left to do in this area, and for a warm-up at the start of our climbing week, we picked the easiest of the trio, Beinn Maol Chaluim. Very appropriate, one might say, to pick Malcolm's hill just after WH Meet :lol: :lol: Our route was straightforward, up and down the eastern side from the narrow road in Glen Etive. Of course, it is possible to add this Corbett to a bigger, more ambitious round, but we preferred, at least for the time being, a shorter day with good views and not too much ascent.

Track_BEINN MAOL CHALUIM 08-04-19.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

"Not too much ascent" still came up to nearly 900m, most of it quite steep, but I suppose it looks like "not so much" compare to what we did in the days that followed. Beinn Maol Chaluim by itself is still a nice walk and at some point on the way up, I realized it was our 150th Corbett. Wow! I never expected to get that far on the list of C's :lol:
Finding a good place to park along the road in Glen Etive can be a pain in the *&$$, but as it was Monday and still well before the peak of the tourist season, we found a spot just past the start of the walk, opposite Lochan Urr.
Looking into Glen Etive from the small off-road parking:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 003.JPG

Ready to go! The two shepherds in the background:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 009.JPG

The first 200m is rather steep, but mostly grassy (the slope would be overgrown with bracken in late summer) and the shapely southern tops of Buachaille Etive Mor and Beag dominate the view:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 013.JPG

...but my attention was suddenly drawn to the steep, bold shape on the other side of Glen Etive. Stob Dubh, the black peak. What an intriguing mountain. I couldn't take my eyes of it and promised myself, I'd come back to explore these intimidating slopes soon. Very soon.
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 016.JPG

Sadly, the day was very hazy. Kevin kept moaning about the haze spoiling his pictures. Indeed, unusually warm weather in spring means hazy air :( but I'd rather have that than 50mph winds and heavy rain! :lol:
Looking south towards Loch Etive, with Ben Starav to the left and Beinn Trillieachan to the right:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 021.JPG

After the initial steep slog, the slope eases off a bit and offers a pleasant ascent on mostly dry grass/low heather, with occasional boulders here and there. Surprisingly grassy as for Glen Etive, noted Kevin, most hills here are pure rock.
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 028.JPG

As we gained height, more familiar shapes appeared on the horizon. Because of the haze, the very distant views were gone, but the nearby hills were still visible, like Sgurr na h-Ulaidh:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 034.JPG

Happy Panther grins while hopping up her 150th Corbett, whereas Lucy appreciates the world from the upside-down perspective :lol: :lol:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 035.JPG

About half way up, we spotted an interesting set of crags. According to the walk description, they can be avoided easily, but...
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 042.JPG

...but we decided, there was no need to take a detour, might be actually more fun to tackle this little face straight-on!
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 047.JPG

We investigated a narrow gully in the middle of the cliffs, but we discovered a small stream dripping down the middle, it was wet and slippery, not a very pleasant underfoot for scrambling. We traversed to the left and found a good line for a short scrambling practice. Once above the cliffs, it was back to marching up the grass:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 062.JPG

The Buachaille Brothers still very prominent:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 072.JPG

The final 100m to the first top had few opportunities for scrambling, just some big boulders, apt for posing on:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 079.JPG

When we reached the first top (848m) I said WOW. The final walk to the summit was going to be a superb traverse along a wide, grassy ridge. Something right up my street!
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 080.JPG

Coire Cearcail and Sgor na h-Ulaidh, Beinn Fionnlaidh peeking out from behind:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 084.JPG

Panoramic snap from Kevin's camera:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 085.JPG

Zoom to Buachaille Etive Beag ridge:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 101.JPG

The walk along the ridge was exactly what I hoped for. An easy stroll compare to the earlier steep going, with mind-boggling views in all directions. And it didn't really matter that the more distant mountains were obscured by haze. The neighbouring hills were good enough!
Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach as seen from the south across Gleann Fhaolain:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 104.JPG

The way to the summit:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 106.JPG

Hazy Loch Etive and surrounding mountains:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 110.JPG

Lucy posing on her 88th Corbett, with the mighty Bidean behind:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 132.JPG

She means business, mind you! She is on her way to reach the ton on Corbetts as well as on Grahams!
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 145.JPG

I know maybe I'm beginning to sound boring now, but I simply loved the view to the ridge of Bidean nam Bian:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 146.JPG

Sgor na h-Ulaidh to the west, with Ballachulish Munros behind:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 147.JPG

Beinn a'Bheithir zoomed:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 137.JPG

150 Corbetts in the bag! Hoooray!!!
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 143.JPG

We didn't have any plans for special celebrations, just sat down by the cairn and toasted our milestone with tea from the flask. It was relatively warm on the summit, so we spent more time than usually stretching our legs, gazing in the distance and discussing plans for the following days. I was excited about the perspective of climbing Stob Dubh and Kevin promised I wouldn't have to wait too long :D
On the way back, we admired the views again. We met another couple of walkers, heading for the top. I was surprised to see other people on this hill on Monday, especially when there are so many iconic Munros around. Obviously, Corbetts are getting more popular and in some aspects it's great, but on the other hand, it would be now more difficult to find solitude anywhere. Well, we might try a remote Graham on a cloudy day :lol: :lol:
Panoramic view taken on the way down, with Stob Dubh dominant above Glen Etive:
2019-04-08 beinn maol chaluim 152.JPG

This Corbett can be easily done in 5 hours (plus time to sink in the vistas) so theoretically, one could climb the neighbouring Beinn Mhic Chasgaig which is also a half-day walk, but we decided to save energy for the following day, which as marked in our calendar as" the day to tackle the mental face" :lol: :lol: More details soon.
Last edited by BlackPanther on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Hitting 150 in Glen Etive

Postby Graeme D » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Some folk have all the luck! Just saying...…

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76145

:evil:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:10 pm

Graeme D wrote:Some folk have all the luck! Just saying...…

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76145

What can I say... Each and every one of us had their share of bad, miserable days on the hills... A good excuse to return to the area for a repeat :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:55 pm

Some excellent views, on one of several hills that appear to be named after me! :lol:

Does Lucy not get travel sick then?!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BlackPanther » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:50 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Some excellent views, on one of several hills that appear to be named after me! :lol:

Does Lucy not get travel sick then?!

Lucy is a tough cookie. I wish I had her stomach :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, I much preferred this Chaluim to the Munro further south. Views are better. Though both mountains have something in common: a long, boring slog up to the ridge!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Anne C » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:40 pm

Fantastic views and photos - great to see that area from a slightly more unusual angle too. Looked a tough slog up those slopes though.
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland