walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Donich

Ben Donich

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Route description: Ben Donich, via Rest and Be Thankful

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich

Date walked: 01/09/2010

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 575m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A wee walk on the night of my 37th birthday. Headed off to Ben Donich after finishing work in paisley @ 5pm and raced off to the Arrochar Alps. As we got to the car park at the top of the rest and be thankfull roadworkers were preparing for works to begin at 9pm meaning that if we were late we were in for a very big detour. I was joined By Jim O, Tam mac, Tommy S and Jim`s mate Stuart for his very first hillwalk. With Jim setting the pace we virtually raced up the mountain hoping to get high enough for some decent views before he had to get back down again. Summiting this hill wasn`t guaranteed but as I tried to keep Jim in sight i kept pushing myself on rather than just enjoying the walk. Only the 3 of us made it to the top and after a quick couple of photos we headed back and with Jim and Tommy in training for their half marathons the bolted off back down the hill leaving me trailing behind :shock:

At one point i actually thought i had gone the wrong way because i didn`t recognise anything because of our mad dash up the hill, never will i do that again, i vowed. Eventually made it down in time for the work hungry yellow jackets to slam the road closed signs down behind us a s we sped off home.

i will return to this mountain and take my time to enjoy it.
IMG_0979.JPG
very tired !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Donich

Postby Graeme D » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:08 am

A fine way to spend a birthday tomyboy! :D It's a hill I've long had my eagle eye on, along with the Brack, but never gotten around to it yet. :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland