walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From Keswick to Edinburgh

From Keswick to Edinburgh

Postby regedmunds » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Date walked: 28/04/2019

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On the 14th of April 2019, I started to hike and camp from Keswick to Edinburgh. I walked to Caldbeck the first day, small campsite in the village, £5. So very windy and bitterly cold on the fells and this weather continued for the next four days. I then walked to Dalston and caught a bus to Carlisle (I was on a schedule to meet my son and his wife in Edinburgh) and then walked along the Hadrians Wall route. After two nights I reached the point where the Pennine Way goes north. I then walked to Bellingham. What a very nice little place. I camped on the Caravan site just before entering the village, very nice and only £8. By now the weather was much warmer and I only had to worry about a breeze.

I then moved on to Byrness and then to Kirk Yetholme, that stretch is very demanding on the feet, legs and shoulders!

From there I followed the St Cuthbert's Way to Melrose. I really enjoyed this particular walk. A very nice campsite there, I was charged £5 and I really like the town as well. I recommend the 'Apples for Jam' coffee and cake shop, great cakes, cream, jam and coffee.

When I walked into Traquair I was planning to wild camp but I was so hungry so decided to wander into Ancrum the most local village nearby. What a let down, the local pub was not serving food, their kitchen had caught fire a few days before and all they had for me to eat was crisps. Luckily a local man and his wife took pity on me and they invited me to their home, just a few doors away for an evening meal with them. Just proved to me that there are still kind people about. I camped next door on a patch of grass outside the village hall.

I like Peebles, very attractive town and I had a very good meal there. The next morning I walked the old drove road to West Linton where I ended my walk. I celebrated the end of my journey by visiting the local coffee and cake shop, excellant! I then caught a bus to my son's flat in Edinburgh. The next morning I caught the bus back to West Linton and then walked all the way to my son's flat thereby completing my walk.

I came home by train on the 27th April. I really enjoyed the hike, especially the St Cuthberts Way section and the drove road to West Linton, the weather was at its best by now.
regedmunds

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland