walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Struggle

A Struggle

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:09 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Well Hill

Date walked: 29/04/2019

Time taken: 1.55 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 260m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Two weeks since my last outing and I have been suffering with achy legs and as the first GP appointment isn't for 3 weeks I have been self diagnosing or trying to. Basically I have no idea what is wrong but the aching pain is not a recipe for a good nights sleep. My plan was to tackle a nice easy gentle hill on the way home after my monthly family visit down south.
Well Hill seemed the obvious choice, next step which way to tackle it? Like most Marilyns the number of walk reports is limited, Well Hill has 6 which is about to be increased. Like most of my walks in the Borders I tend to try and tackle the hills head on, which is usually the shortest way, but not usually the easiest.
The only route similar to my planned route was by Tinto63, but he was more ambitious and wanted more!
I left Cheshire before 8am and then had to battle the Monday morning commuters, I am so glad I don't live down south and also don't have the commuting problem.
The trip down south was the first in my new car, which in theory is exactly the same as my old one, apart from a slightly different shade of blue and no Satnav. I have driven along the A702 umpteen times so had a rough idea where I was going, but like most folk these days, used my Smartphone to navigate. I found a nice wide layby about 30 yards from my planned start point.

My parking spot

The start was bang on the border and this proves it

The other border sign

Looking down on the car, I was taking every opportunity to stop as the ascent was a real struggle

Next photo

Looking east

Looking across to the Lowthers

Peat hags, noy my favourite obstacle, luckily the ground is dry so they weren't a problem

My route would have me following the fence all the way to the summit, the big decision I had to make was which side of the fence do I walk on. I opted to stay on the left for the ascent and that for a change turned out to be the smart move as the terrain on the other side of the fence was more challenging. The fence doesn't go in a nice straight line to the summit it wriggles in all directions, but I wasn't bothered about walking a few extra yards if the underfoot conditions were better where I was.

The highest round bit is Well Hill, looks further away than it actually was

The view west from the summit of Well Hill

Video taken on the summit of Well Hill

Looking north to the Lowthers

Time to head back down, it was certainly much easier than the struggle uphill. Large wind farm in the distance

Back at the peat hags again

Final descent, grass was dry so not a problem

This turned out to be an excellent little bit of exercise and just what my legs needed, I really enjoyed Well Hill and had I felt better and fitter I would definitely tagged on another nearby hill. I should also add that I am maybe being a little harsh on myself - when I plotted the route and compared my ascent time to Naismith I was a couple of minutes quicker!!
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: A Struggle

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 pm

Glad to hear the legs are still working OK! I almost did this hill once but when push came to shove, I couldn't be ar**d getting out the car. Something to do with the weather! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: A Struggle

Postby Sgurr » Wed May 01, 2019 3:48 pm

Have you read "The Ascent of Rum Doodle?" Maybe you are suffering from altitude lassitude, or one of the many other lassitudes the party suffers from.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland