walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of NIgg

Hill of NIgg

Postby mac13 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Date walked: 01/05/2019

Distance: 1.9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first walk report, better to start small :-)

Having done a few s2000, this was the easiest of them all so far
Don't be put of by the gorse that you will notice at the summit before you start the ascent
You will avoid it :-)

I hope this will be the quickest route to be used

Distance 1.2miles
time to summit 17m
total time 36m

Starting point NH81661 70118 This is on a bend where parking for one car is available
Summit point NH 82116 70543, marked on OS 1:50 000 maps as 205 with a blue 82 overlapping

the GPX file is a bit erratic at the start as I was looking for suitable crossing point for dogs, there is a brand new fence with barb wire along the top, not good if you have a lab, perfect for a spaniel as you can lift the bottom bit and they can get through.

At the summit there could be highland cattle or sheep about so keep on a leash, unless they are used to been around farm animals.

The walk is straight forward, solid grassy ground with a gradual ascent and before you know it your at the summit, a small cairn marks it, be on the lookout for the white stone saying happy haloween zippy :lol:

There is a couple routes you could take, if no animals cut straight through the field to the opening at the other end, turn left at the concrete storage depot then across fence and keep the gorse to your right and its less than 5 to summit, take same route for return leg.

If you have dogs there are a few broken sections in the old fence that allows access though, however you might have to lift them over at later stages
I will not recommend pulling up part of the lower fence to allow access, although it does work

The views form the summit are normally very good, however it was misty when I got to the summit.

I would upload photos, but the site doesn't seem to recognize, them, gutted ;-(

hope you enjoy the ramblings, and maybe they will improve with practice
Attachments

Track_2019-05-01 HILL OF NIGG 205m S2000.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mac13
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:15
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Re: Hill of NIgg

Postby Graeme D » Thu May 02, 2019 9:57 pm

A fine wee hill, even if I did do it many moons ago with a Labrador, in the course of a thoroughly miserable holiday in nearby Shandwick between Christmas and New Year - pub shut, near constant pis**ng rain, accommodation entirely unsuitable for a 9 month old child and I had to make do with this hill rather than some of the nearby Grahams! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland