walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Strath Conon Grahams,

The Strath Conon Grahams,

Postby Benaden887 » Sat May 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin (Strathconon), Càrn na Coinnich, Càrn na h-Easgainn, Meall na Faochaig

Date walked: 21/04/2019

Time taken: 13.1 hours

Distance: 34.08 km

Ascent: 2090m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Grahams of Strath Conon.

Sun.pm. I drive back thro a misty Altnaharra. Last night crossing the Mudale river bridge found me competing with some 40 odd deer who were all heading into the village for the night. As I leave it behind, the clag thickens, swathes drifting across the road, glimpses of heath and trees. I pull over for a speedy 4 x4, then tuck in behind as we whip past Klibreck, a busy Crask then just before Lairg does the mist not clear. Warm welcoming sun here, I pull in and enjoy a drink then take a wee nap. Refreshed I wash and move on. The hills W beyond Loch Shin are wreathed in cloud, not good. Study the map again at Carbisdale castle viewpoint. Built by the Duchess of Sutherland, the former youth hostel is now in private hands. Sad, I would have like to stay here, but never managed it. So, Bonar bridge and thoughts of rainy Strath Carron /Alladale / Glencalvie are binned as I take the B9176 hill road back into the clag. This route gives stunning views but not today, I tuck in behind a local while some idiot in one of they Fiat clockwork cars goes speeding past us. Traffic control lights at the bridge and then clear weather by the time we drop down to Alnesss. Crossing the Cromarty Firth shows clear weather to the west, so turn at Tores for A835 to Moy bridge and the single track road up the glen and river Conon. 17Miles later I park by three other cars @ nh260508 for Inverchoran.

Beinn Mheadoin 8.5km 560m 3.10h 21/04/2019

I bask in a warm sun, so go lite with small sac, windproof and try my Oboz fabric boots. Walk down track for bridge and bypass farm. Regain the track for 300m to a fork. Take the left 4x4 fork uphill, heading SE. The track leads round E shoulder of Creagan a` Chorain. Ford a burn, an overgrown trail on the R leads to a path that climbs uphill. When the path fades, a line of cairns enter your vision leading SW across a broad gully to a high rocky outcrop, The main cairn lies beyond this. Great views all round Still snow on the Strathfarrar munros.

The return is easier. A break before the bridge sees a single kingfisher catching fish then feeding his mate. Changing at the car, a family of 7 campers, heading up part of my route then down to camp in the Orrin Glen. Magic to see that enthusiasm. The family with baby who walked the 15km glen circuit of the Orrin and Chorainn, and the Bac an Eich, Corbett guy staying at Invercroft. Coincidence? Kenny and I stayed there when we did the top two in the glen. Having seen no hill folk since leaving home, my feel good factor has returned and the burden is no longer a chore.

Meall na Faochaig 7.20km 540m 3h 21/04/2019

Maybe three hours before dark, could have time to do this. So,
Walk W on the road to where a stalkers path climbs the hill, Good views of the glen and the loch beyond as I gain height. Heather and gorse here, a wet 50m then the path cuts back across for a 388m top. Spying a strip of white grass amid the heather and crags, I leave the path for this, giving an easier route to the top. This turns out to be a 15min walk over a broad top to reach the cairn. The setting sun darkens the glen below, as I drop SW to reach my inward route and return to the car. Tidy the back then drive to Milton Mill where I bed down for the night,

Carn na Coinnich 12km 666m 4.10h 22/04/2019
0500 Go lite, small sac, ditto boots. Down and cross bridge pass Dalbreak lodge and take the L/H path uphill to cross burn for a steep rise of some 400m. Seems a harder pull or maybe the past days are catching up with me, anyways its a slog but I top out onto a broad grassed channel of peat hags and tussock grass. The marked lochan still holds water and the going is wet, but having crossed this gives an easy walk to the cairn and trig point of Coinnich. A great outlook. Glad now I didn't try to lump these three together. Although.? Look for the tented group, but no joy. After a last look around at yesterdays hills, I return the way I came. Stop for a scrub up at the burn. A check finds Ive drank 500m lucosade on every hill with1.5trs fluid plus jellybabies.my piece and crisps

Can na h-Easgainn 7.2km 330m 2.40h 22/04/2019

Park at the houses and follow the track uphill, to the top. Cross to the cairn and relax. Great views of the surrounding area, the hills I did 2 months ago, a windfarm, and the Moray firth. Time to go home.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland