walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Calvine ROW

Calvine ROW

Postby Gordie12 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:14 pm

Date walked: 05/05/2019

Time taken: 6.9 hours

Distance: 35.1 km

Ascent: 749m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One week to the start of my long distance walk. Weight - on target, Fitness - miles behind where I should be.

The forecast was for it to be overcast and cold but little chance of getting wet so a good day to take on this challenge. I need to do this distance before I head off next week as I always like to have done a longer distance than anything I face when on my walk.

Started at 07:20am so on a Sunday I was over the A9 without needing to wait. The reason for doing this walk is to experience the climb up and away from the A9 and it was just as I remember it, tough and long but the hardest gradient is the first 300 yards and thereafter it gets easier.

After 3 miles the track drops down in to Glen Bruar and it is then a steady and easy climb all the way to the lodge which is exactly 8 miles from the A9. Continued a further 2.9 miles to a bridge I've stopped at a couple of times in the past but today wasn't a day for sitting around so it was a quick sandwich and I was on my way for the return leg.

I got pretty cold in the ten minutes I was stopped so it was hat and gloves for the way back (it's bloomin May!!).

Pace was quite good on the way back and I just had the climb out of Glen Bruar to face but I plodded up it without stopping then continued on.

The showers could be seen further north and eventually they reached me but nothing heavy.

Back over the A9 and at the car without seeing another person on a bank holiday Sunday.

Legs are tired but OK, blister on top of the middle toe of my left foot but better there than under the toe.

Need to try and squeeze one more decent walk before heading south next week.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland