walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Of Corse this could have been easier....

Of Corse this could have been easier....

Postby Jaxter » Mon May 06, 2019 5:25 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Corse Hill

Date walked: 05/05/2019

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 51.18 km

Ascent: 636m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cycling - 43.42km, 480m ascent, 2 hours 45 minutes
Walking - 7.76km, 156m ascent, 1 hour 25 minutes

Corse Hill – a little bump south of Glasgow that I’d been looking at for some time, purely because it was easily within cycling distance and near to a students house, making for the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I was feeling a number of injuries so in the interests of getting out somewhere, this was the idea of choice – we had been for pancakes in the morning and weren’t too keen to get going but eventually headed off about 3pm :lol:

Pancakes – Stack and Still is your friend 8)

We cycled through Newton Mearns and as we climbed up the other side of Eaglesham we could see all the way to the Campsies and even Loch Lomond with both Dumgoyne and Ben Lomond visible 8)

Malcy stopping for a breather :wink:

We dumped the bikes at the end of the track and continued on foot – although on Malcy’s silly pink map it had only looked like a quick mile it turned out to be more like 5km :shock:

I’d love to live somewhere with such a cool name :lol:

The map, like Malcy himself, also predated the wheel so there were a lot of extra tracks to negotiate than were marked!

Who’s the bigger fool – the fool or the fool who follows him? :lol:

It was an easy walk along good tracks to the summit of Corse Hill, although walking under the giant wind turbines was slightly unnerving :shock:

Biggest onshore wind farm in the UK

Summit of Corse Hill

The Galloway hills

A first time for everything – looking down on this one :lol:

What an idiot :lol:

Ben Lomond in the distance

Do something interesting…. :roll:

Then it was back along the track through the turbines…

…back towards Carrot

Where we picked up the bikes

It was a really cold wind so we added layers before getting going – we decided to make it a loop and cycled home via Carmunnock which we managed successfully until we got lost in the Gorbals :lol:

Still, a nice way to make a bit of a mountain out of a molehill, and most importantly, Malcy was able to bag another Marilyn :roll: :lol:

Corse_Hill_the_walky_bit.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Corse cycle.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Of Corse this could have been easier....

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Yes, it certainly could have been......My local hill being just a few miles away. Have only been up twice though, from Carrot Farm before the windfarm was built and from the windfarm car park - cycled both times rather than walking although the former was quite a bit tougher. Nice day for it and some good, clear views. Thanks :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Raynor » Tue May 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Can you park at the carrot end? I had an unsuccessful attempt at this one from the windfarm centre a few months ago. Underestimated the distance big time. It got dark and I got slightly lost :lol:
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 pm

Raynor wrote:Can you park at the carrot end?

It's a very long time since I approached from that end and pre windfarm but we just parked on the edge of the singletrack road and there was a widened bit to the left before the entrance to Carrot Farm. See link below.

Link to google maps - Carrot Farm entrance
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jaxter » Wed May 08, 2019 8:57 am

rockhopper wrote:
Raynor wrote:Can you park at the carrot end?

It's a very long time since I approached from that end and pre windfarm but we just parked on the edge of the singletrack road and there was a widened bit to the left before the entrance to Carrot Farm. See link below.

Link to google maps - Carrot Farm entrance

Yes rockhopper is correct (of course!) There were some folk parked at the junction where we left the bikes, didn't look very official but plenty space to pull off
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Jaxter » Wed May 08, 2019 8:58 am

rockhopper wrote:Yes, it certainly could have been......My local hill being just a few miles away. Have only been up twice though, from Carrot Farm before the windfarm was built and from the windfarm car park - cycled both times rather than walking although the former was quite a bit tougher. Nice day for it and some good, clear views. Thanks :)

Makes it more rewarding when you do something daft doesn't it :roll: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland