walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Four loons loose in Perthshire

Four loons loose in Perthshire

Postby Jaxter » Mon May 06, 2019 6:09 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Mór Bheinn

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Clach

Date walked: 28/04/2019

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 19.64 km

Ascent: 1075m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Halton & Mor Bheinn
13.13km
743m ascent
4 hours 35 mins

I hadn’t seen Colin in absolutely ages, so when he suggested a wee walk in Perthshire it seemed like a good opportunity to catch up. Due to the Stirling Marathon he was out and about crazy early – Adam arrived a little later and Malcy and I rocked up last (but still well before our curfew of 9am :lol: )

Compared to the last few weeks of wall-to-wall sunshine it seemed a bit overcast, but a few metres up the track we realised that it was lulling us into a false sense of security – despite the cloud it was incredibly muggy :shock:

Ben Halton ahead

Rather than smashing Ben Halton in the face we all plodded along the track which was rising gradually without much effort – looking back to Uamh Bheag

Beinn Dearg – Malcy had climbed hill with today’s target from Glen Artney previously and he was pure raging not to get a new summit :lol:

Eventually the track deposited us at the quarry and we were on our own – we spotted a stile and bashed our way through some heather towards this to make climbing the deer fence a bit easier. The others managed with a little more dignity than I… :roll:

From here it was a relatively easy climb, trying to miss the worst of the heather. Once on the ridge it was a short wander over to the highest point of Ben Halton which led us through peat bogs and some pretty lochans…

Ben Halton summit

Looking across to Mor Bheinn – the Graham summit

Perthshire

The Loch Earn hills

Colin wandered off for a photo and promised to catch us up, so Adam, Malcy and I found our own ways down towards the bealach. Colin showed his Himalayan fitness by catching us up super quick :wink:

Fortunately we had managed to avoid fence-maggeddon and only had a small one to climb over before picking up a path which led us relatively painlessly up Mor Bheinn.

Looking back to Ben Halton

St Fillans at the tip of Loch Earn

We thought this was probably Ben Vorlich in the cloud

Mor Bheinn summit

A pair of idiots

You know you have weird friends when Malcy is the most normal looking of the lot :lol: :lol:

Although it was muggy and warm there was a cool breeze so we decided to head down – we followed the ridge for a time but it was very lumpy and bumpy and difficult to walk on, so eventually followed numerous deer tracks and bashed through some steep heather down to the grassy slopes near the burn

Looking back to Mor Bheinn

There was a track along the burn which led us onto an estate track. Fortunately we didn’t believe Adam and checked the map otherwise who knows where we would have ended up :lol:

This track eventually led us back through the estate past some nice features which didn’t photograph well… :roll:

Recently laid pheasant eggs :shock:

Back at the car we polished off my sticky chocolate brownies – had to make sure Colin wasn’t suffering from any altitude-related issues :lol:

Eventually we headed off – it was great to catch up with old pals and meet new ones. However, Malcy had other plans for the way home – it wouldn’t be right if he didn’t manage to bag a new Marilyn and he was upset by a couple of red blobs in a sea of blue.

Ben Halton.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben Clach
6.51km
332m ascent
1 hour 50 mins

We stopped for tea and cake in Comrie before managing to find a parking spot off the B827 near the start of the track beside the Corriebeagh burn.

I was feeling ok, so left my book in the car and decided to join him on a pointless Marilyn :wink: :lol:

Although the track was initially good it did get quite squishy along the way, but it was probably still better than wading across without it. Soon it met the burn and we branched off towards Ben Clach itself – the ground was much better underfoot now

There were a lot of younglings here, including one sheep that looked like it had literally just popped one out :shock: We tried to steer clear. However, Malcy spotted a sheep on its back and decided to attempt to help (any excuse eh :wink: )

As we gained height it gave us some nice views down the glen – nothing dramatic, just generally nice, like most of these hills seem to be 8)

Eventually on the summit we were rewarded with an impressive view of Ben Vorlich and Stuc a’ Chroin – I decided it was worth the effort as we hadn’t seen these hills earlier on!

The summit of Ben Clach itself was a bit of a heathery plateau :roll:

The windfarm on Beinn nan Eun

We pretty much retraced our steps downwards, managing to avoid most of the sheep and the worst of the heather, which took us through some interesting rocky strata

We then picked up the track which took us back to the car – not quite the 45 minute hill I was promised…but an enjoyable wee wander none the less :wink:

Ben Clach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Tue May 07, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Four loons loose in Perthshire

Postby past my sell by date » Tue May 07, 2019 6:40 pm

I can't quite see the summit cairn of Mor Bheinn from my house, but I thought I could see the house from the summit - I'm sure that standing on the cairn. you could: you should have let me know and I'd have got my bins. out to see if I could spot you :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: Four loons loose in Perthshire

Postby Jaxter » Tue May 14, 2019 8:49 am

past my sell by date wrote:I can't quite see the summit cairn of Mor Bheinn from my house, but I thought I could see the house from the summit - I'm sure that standing on the cairn. you could: you should have let me know and I'd have got my bins. out to see if I could spot you :lol: :lol:

We'll have to learn semaphore for next time :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland