walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great circuit from Dufftown .

Great circuit from Dufftown .

Postby Jwebster » Tue May 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Route description: Dufftown, Craigellachie and Aberlour circuit

Date walked: 06/05/2019

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Been fancying this route for a while , we did it on a four seasons in one day Monday . Set off from the square in Dufftown with the hail falling sure it was going to go off , eventually it did . It's good to see the parts of these towns we normally just drive through ( guided by Walkhighlands ) , so Balvenie Castle was cool then soon we were on the old railway line to Craigellachie . Nothing much happens for five miles , but pleasantly ( despite another burst of hail ) if you know what I mean :) . Again it was interesting to pass through Craigellachie in a different fashion , the Craigellachie Hotel would be well placed for a pub lunch , it has a cosy pub with great ambiance but when we were there last year the bottled beer selection and the condition of the tap beer was , I felt , poor . :?
tunnel.jpg

The next section has two tunnels then you're pretty close to the Spey , we saw quite a few fishermen here , one up to his waist in the middle of the river , seems like that would be pretty cold . Aberlour was soon reached and we decided on " The Gaither'n Place " for a pick-me-up . Nice place , the coffee was excellent and the brownie decent . Suitably rejuvenated we set off on the last section which turned out to be lovely . A steady climb gives great views over Aberlour , the Spey valley , Ben Aigan , whisky warehouses etc . In the other direction Ben Rinnes and the Convals ( a great circuit which we had done the day before) can be seen . Then it's into the trees again and I know it's not a thousand square miles of giant Redwoods but I loved it .
forest.jpg

The sun was warming the day nicely up to t-shirt conditions and the gorse was in full bloom and smelling wonderful .
dufftown 2.jpg
Looking down to Dufftown

Once the climbing is done there are a variety of great little paths and tracks to take you back to the ice-cream shop , I mean Dufftown . Tick . :D
Jwebster
Hill Bagger

Munros:39   Corbetts:12
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland