walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A great viewpoint but....

A great viewpoint but....

Postby past my sell by date » Wed May 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh, from Glen Orchy

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh

Date walked: 08/05/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I climbed Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh a small but isolated hill a few years ago without a camera, but noted the excellent views - a point mentioned in the SMC Corbetts book. In 2018 I found the route closed due to "harvesting" in the forest so I tried again this April. Some photos taken on the way back
6889.JPG
I couldn't resist stopping to capture Ben Lui from the A82, but when I got out of the car I winced in the strong and bitter wind: I was clearly going to have a tough time
6895.JPG
View from the bridge over the river Orchy
6896.jpg
It can be a lot more exciting
6898.JPG
A few hundred metres after the start you need to keep L on the old track (signposted) and then R across this bridge
6901.JPG

6902.JPG
A couple of views over to the Allt Brioghleachan scrap of the Old Caledonian Forest :D
6903.JPG
The first time here I decided the track was going "offline" now and pushed on down this ride. I eventually climbed the deer fence, but although it may well have been shorter It proved to be a "long" short cut :lol: Not the first I have made :lol: :lol:
6904.JPG
Further up the track
6905.JPG
Bheinn a Bhuiridh - an impressive Corbett
6907.JPG
The track comes out of the trees and the whole hill can be seen
Out of the forest the strong wind became apparent. There were several groups of foreign speaking (German I think) groups wandering around. One waving a blue flag with 255 written on it. Some sort of international friendship event perhaps :wink:
6908.JPG
The route climbs these rather tedious slopes. I made very slow progress in the gale force winds which seemed to be coming from the South, and kept L - close to the gully where they seemed slightly less
6911.JPG
Looking back down
6914.JPG
Looking S to the Ben Lui group - it was already apparent that conditions were very hazy :(
The wind got stronger and stronger and standing on the plateau was almost impossible, but I managed to sit in the lee of the Summit cairn and with difficulty get a few pics across the head of Glen Strae and Glen Kinglass to the Etive hills But I wasn't really sure what was what :lol:

Views from the summit
6915.JPG
Bheinn a Bhuiridh and parts of Cruachan behind
6919.JPG
Beinn nan Aighenan I think
6920.JPG
Stob Coir nan Albannaich is straight opposite: I guess those must be the Glen Coe peaks behind on its R
6929.JPG
Stob Gabhar R of centre
6932.JPG
A wider view of all the hills to the North
6935.JPG
Zoomed view North to the Ben (centre) - And that must be Meall nan Eun immediately L of it: This pic allowed me to orientate all the others:lol: :lol:
There was no chance of getting pics in any other direction, so I walked/crawled back down and found some slight shelter about 50m down. The first time I was here I had walked down the whole length of the ridge :D before making a steep direct descent to the forest - but NOT today :lol: :lol:
6938.JPG
The bulky lumps of Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain to the E
6941.JPG
Futher R - Bheinn a Chaisteil (far R) and Sheasgarnich and Creg Mhor perhaps in the distance
6944.JPG
Zoomed view to the Arrochar Alps R of the Ben Lui group. Lochan Coire Thoraidh in the foreground
I returned the same way as quickly as I could - glad to get out of the wind :D
Last edited by past my sell by date on Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: A great viewpoint but....

Postby dav2930 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:00 pm

Some great shots there - a fine viewpoint indeed. Looked awkward getting through the forestry and it was a shame the strong wind rather spoilt your enjoyment, but a good day out all the same. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: A great viewpoint but....

Postby past my sell by date » Mon May 13, 2019 3:36 pm

dav2930 wrote:Some great shots there - a fine viewpoint indeed. Looked awkward getting through the forestry and it was a shame the strong wind rather spoilt your enjoyment, but a good day out all the same. :)

Thanks Dave The walk through the woods is fine if you're disciplined and follow the path :lol: :lol: But I was rather disappointed in the summit views: the shots needed a lot of photoshopping to make anything of them. The first time I went - sans camera - it was much better. Still on Cruachan yesterday conditions were perfect and that's perhaps the best viewpoint in the Southern Highlands :D :D :D Report will take a while to prepare - I need to draw a lot of lines on the Munro map to work out what was what :lol: :lol:
edit Oh No I can look at the WH Summit panorama :D
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland