walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mhanach

Beinn Mhanach

Postby SecondRow » Wed May 08, 2019 6:58 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhanach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 08/05/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20.4 km

Ascent: 820m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked in entrance to forestry track on side of A82, rather than the rather tight spaces, right by the side of the road (looked like a good way to lose a wing mirror!).

I was on my bike by 6am, with the temperature barely above 3 degrees. Initial going was pretty fast, then became harder going as I pushed up the glen from the viaduct. At the first ford of the river, I paid the price for my impatience and go soaked feet after trying to kamikaze through on my bike. Annoyingly if I had taken my time it should have been perfectly easy to get across dry!

At the fork of the track I abandoned my bike, changed my socks and pushed on to ascend via the WH route. Steep going, and my legs were feeling the pain of a few hill free months. At around 800m there was a good dusting of snow, which made for good going, but not much to see (70% chance of cloud free Munros!)

After locating the summit cairn and enjoying a view of not very much, I trudged back town, literally following my footsteps. On relocating my bike, it was an easy ride back to the start, other than the very last bit back to the A82.

P1010330.JPG

P1010331.JPG

P1010333.JPG

P1010337.JPG
SecondRow
Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:34
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland