walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Calvine ROW

Calvine ROW

Postby Gordie12 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Date walked: 11/05/2019

Time taken: 8.2 hours

Distance: 40.2 km

Ascent: 980m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My last walk before heading south to take on Lady Anne's Way.

Decided to head back to Calvine as I really enjoyed last Sunday's walk.

Set off at 07:10am, no threat of rain but fairly cool again.

A few red deer around as well as some mountain hares.

Stopped at the bridge 2.9 miles after Bruar Lodge (10.9 miles from Calvine) for a sandwich and chocolate fix. Decision time, same distance as 6 days ago or take on the climb straight after the bridge - decided to keep going.

The climb was steep in places and just kept on going, decided to go to the 12.5 mile point to give me a 25 mile walk. Once on the plateau there were good views of the higher hills with Braeriach and pals completely covered in snow.

I was exactly halfway on the track to Speyside, tempting to keep going but I didn't think Andrea would be impressed with the call for a lift so turned and headed for home.

The gamekeeper stopped his landrover for a chat at the bridge near the lodge and a lady runner was heading up the glen as I headed for home.

The usual climb out of Glen Bruar was at 22 miles today, head down - keep going.

A good day and the legs feel OK (but maybe not tomorrow morning!).

So the preparation for the May walk is over and it has been absolute rubbish. Way down on mileage but I'm lighter than last May when I did the Cotswold Way - hopefully things will balance out and I will be OK.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland