walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

up on the Ben Uidhe plateau

up on the Ben Uidhe plateau

Postby litljortindan » Sat May 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Date walked: 10/05/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 640m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Maybe I am deceiving myself but I seem to have had a wonderful walk. Slightly by accident too! Plan A was written off because I was too slow getting up the road for what would have been a longer but, I am sure now, inferior walk. The challenge then was to pick out an alternative from a map that I am very familiar with. Not easy but the fine weather said anything will do so I opted for the nearest thing at hand to the point where I decided I couldn't do plan A. Not initially inspiring I have to say as the path climbs and curves into an enclosed glen of convex curves with only the burn below and some waterfalls to add interest. There was a decision point for a smaller or bigger walk at a Y junction in the path (the Glen Dubh path) and a younger couple who breezed past me almost persuaded me with their relative springiness that I ought only to be considering the easier option. Stubbornness kicked in though...
I say the couple breezed past but we did exchange good mornings and it crossed my mind that this was a rare situation where the relatively elderly (me) can show courtesy to the relatively young by getting out of the way! Anyway, I realised that I had enough time to walk at least to Loch nan Cuaran and maybe beyond for a view north so off I set in that direction.
Decent path made for good going and I was soon up at the loch where the blue sky peppered with fluffy white cloud produced some entrancing reflections. I was feeling fit so carried on to the high point of the Geln Dubh path and to the north side of the plateau where there were stupendous views north taking in Loch Glencoul, Stack of Glencoul, Ben Stack, Foinaven, Meallan a' Chuail, Ben Hee, Ben Loyal...not just hills but memories, dreams, plans all laid out before me.
To get two unexpectedly spectacular things on a walk that initially promised only dullness made me feel this was near perfection. Even the temperature had played ball; after initial excessive warmth, some coolness set in as occasional shade and breeze took over and I was very happy to be accompanied by that for the duration -it certainly helped me make the good decision to take on the longer walk.

Stopped to take a snap of Sgurr Mor, looking very fine with its snow.

But An Teallach has a cloud cap.

Ben Mor Coigach.

Conival.

Starting up the Glen Dubh path.

Looking back at Canisp. Looking back at Canisp means viewing it from here but also thinking back to a winter ascent at the end of a glorious week in Assynt in the nineties and of an ascent and descent in the dark after a traverse of Suilven and thinking about the folk I was with.

Getting up towards the Y junction and decision point.

Bowled over at Loch nan Cuaran.

Lochan on the plateau, near the high point of the Glen Dubh path.

View from the north side of the plateau with Foinaven prominent on the horizon.

Ben Stack and Stack of Glencoul on the right.

Ben Stack, Foinaven and Stack of Glencoul.

Klibreck and Griams.

Ben More Assynt and Na Tuadhan.

Ben Loyal, Meallan a' Chuail and Ben Hee.

Sorry, not done with the reflections!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland