walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

down by the Allt Mheuran

down by the Allt Mheuran

Postby litljortindan » Tue May 14, 2019 10:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav

Date walked: 13/05/2019

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1070m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've wondered about Ben Starav ever since viewing it from Ben Cruachan in 1988 so long overdue a visit, particularly with the bulldozers due. Tried to make an early start from home to avoid the warmer part of the day and I arrived at Glen Etive in reasonable time; so set off at 7.30am after fifteen minutes getting ready / midge dodging.
A lot of bluebells in the woodland beside the river and some beautiful little waterfalls and rock pools on that first stretch of the Allt Mheuran. Can't believe any of what's there is going to be sacrificed for a bit of extra electricity generation.
It took me four hours to ascend, albeit I did spend a fair amount of time taking photos. Anyway, never got too uncomfortable on the way up and a breeze set in for the last few hundred feet so the timing on the way up had sort of worked in terms of heat avoidance.
There was a short section of boulders near the top that were a bit unstable but I was probably just unlucky with the way I went as everything was fine on the way down. However, descending that steeper part aggravated my hernia so I had to go slow to avoid over-straining but that did the trick. Still, good to know what the limitations are and on the plus side my back didn't give me any problems on the way up the steeper bouldery parts.
Diverted slightly at the bottom of the hill for a better look at the Allt Mheuran gorge. A truly beautiful place. Such a shame it's going to be altered. Let's hope they don't make too much of a mess.

Why is there a waterfall here when there could be a perfectly good hydro scheme?

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: down by the Allt Mheuran

Postby rockhopper » Wed May 15, 2019 11:46 pm

Nice day for it. The ascent just seems to go on forever but worth it at the top. Thanks :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: down by the Allt Mheuran

Postby litljortindan » Sat May 18, 2019 1:40 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice day for it. The ascent just seems to go on forever but worth it at the top. Thanks :)

Quite a good path though, aside from the bouldery top.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland