walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Binn

Meikle Binn

Postby Franklin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 03/01/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 525m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started off at the car park around 10am. Already four cars in front of me. After about 2 minutes I realised I'd left the camera in the car so I'd have to use my phone to photograph the route. I took all the usual ones showing which path to take but have not included them as the ones taken by gammy leg walker and alan s are much better.

The cloud level was quite high and the visibility was good. There was a wee bit of ice on various sections of the path with the worst bit being over the bridge on the lower section
IMG_0151.JPG
Ice on Bridge

Made good time up the path and found the gap in the trees. Was looking for the cairn but it was quite small and almost obscured by the snow.

Through the trees and on to the hillside where the full force of the wind hit you. It's not a long climb to the top from this point but I could feel the feeling going in my face by the time I reached the top.

Here comes the obligatory photo from the top

IMG_0140.JPG
I now know the meaning of windchill

I thought I would be smart and post a picture from the summit on my facebook page. This took 30 minutes and I will not be doing that again in a hurry.

Wasn't sure where to look for the remains of the aircraft as mentioned in previous walk reports so I retraced my steps to the car.

Really enjoyed my day and as Arnie would say "I'll be back!"
Franklin
Mountain Walker

Munros:62   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Meikle Binn

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Looks like you enjoyed your day on Meikle Bin Franklin,the remains of the plane can be found as you drop down from the trig point no more than 20yds to the left of the path down
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks for posting that Franklin - I've still never climbed Meikle Bin so good to see a bit more of it. The views look good.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Good report there franklin,good to see a view from the top :)
The ice on that bridge looks dodgy i woudnt fancy walking across that
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland