walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A'Mhaighdean . E-bike approach from Poolewe

A'Mhaighdean . E-bike approach from Poolewe

Postby ridgerunner » Thu May 16, 2019 11:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean

Date walked: 16/05/2019

Time taken: 6.5 hours

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glorious warm morning setting off from Poolewe. Good estate road up to Kernsary forest and once through that nice singletrack. Took 75 minutes to bike into the causeway at Dubh Loch. Beinn Airigh Carr looked very imposing to the side most of the way but the track is quite rough and needs a lot of concentration to avoid boulders and to stop often for the drainage ditches which often are lined with very sharp edges and very easily cause pinch punctures. Got one when i had got fed up getting off my bike to cross each one.
P1010075 (Small).JPG
parked bike after causeway

P1010077 (Small).JPG
Path rises under Sgurr na Laocainn

Top of A'Mhaighdean seen from the path and i think looks falsely close from here.
P1010094 (Small).JPG
just right of centre

As i planned to ascend via the NW ridge wasnt sure if i could cross the stream lower down so climbed not much short of a switchback before easily crossing.
P1010079 (Small).JPG
Looking back west to start

P1010080 (Small).JPG
Looking up the ridge

P1010081 (Small).JPG
the very blue Fuar Loch Beag

Although i had read that there was a very steep drop along this ridge it still came as a surprise. Fuar Loch Mor is just seen in the upper left of photo.
P1010083 (Small).JPG
right at the edge looking down

Below is the view looking back from the same spot.
P1010084 (Small).JPG

Walking back about ten paces and gullies go down both sides. Take the one facing An Teallach [north east]. Below is a picture taken another ten paces back showing the gully and the tiny gap that is squeezed through is right in the middle of the shot in the foreground.
P1010085 (Small).JPG
Spot the gap

The large rock tower ahead is bypassed on the right.
P1010086 (Small).JPG
Looking down to the bypassed tower

Then easy sweep round to the summit.
P1010090 (Small).JPG
looking south east Lochan Fada

P1010088 (Small).JPG
looking north west

P1010091 (Small).JPG
An Teallach in the ditance

Then headed towards Ruadh stac Mor and joined the good path heading northwest the top of Allt Bruthac an Easain then down to Carnmore where i was greatly relieved to find that my replaced inner tube was still inflated. The light wind had changed 180 degree so again cycled into a headwind an was glad of the ebike. Took a few minutes longer to bike back than on the way out. Slighter tougher biking on return though only had to dismount once on a short steep rough rise.
I have often used a standard bike to approach the hills but this was the first time i have used an ebike and it was very well suited to the terrain.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Re: A'Mhaighdean . E-bike approach from Poolewe

Postby silvervixen58 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 am

What a fab report. I used a regular bike the first time I undertook this route. I'd like to do it again on my mountain e-bike. I'm interested, ridgerunner, that you manged to cycle as far as the causeway. Was the big gate / style at the end of (908788) open and has the path beyond there improved as I didn't think when I walked it I could have cycled.
silvervixen58
Munro compleatist

Re: A'Mhaighdean . E-bike approach from Poolewe

Postby ridgerunner » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:23 am

silvervixen58 wrote:What a fab report. I used a regular bike the first time I undertook this route. I'd like to do it again on my mountain e-bike. I'm interested, ridgerunner, that you manged to cycle as far as the causeway. Was the big gate / style at the end of (908788) open and has the path beyond there improved as I didn't think when I walked it I could have cycled.

I have just come across your comment so sorry about not replying . Hope my reply may still be of use. Your map reference seems to lie between the two paths that leave the forest. I took the higher path that leaves the forest at 910789 and cannot remember any troublesome gate so i think it must have gone. The path was in great condition for biking and my full suspension Merida coped easily. I stupidly had left my plus sized tyres at low pressure for maximum traction and would certainly have them at at a very high pressure if tackled again. But i remember these drainage ditches only too well.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland