walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mealna Letter (Duchray Hill)

Mealna Letter (Duchray Hill)

Postby rob munbett » Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Mealna Letter or Duchray Hill

Date walked: 15/05/2019

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6.9 km

Ascent: 370m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was staying up in Pitlochry for a couple of nights and, having dropped of my wife for an afternoon of shopping and coffee shops, I drove over to the B951 between Glen Shee and Glen Isla for a quick jaunt up this hill - and very pleasant it was, too, despite the heat and blazing sun. i parked in a good space beside the regional boundary sign, strolled along the road for a short distance and then went through a metal gate at the forest edge. A new estate road was being constructed, which seemed to be heading over the moorland as far as Carn an Fhidheir, so there was much clanking from the diggers and bulldozers. The route up was really straightforward - through the marshy section at the start (beware the deep pools by the second gate!) follow the edge of the forest up to the dyke over Cairn Derig and walk beside this all the way to the summit, which didn't seem to be the large cairn, rather the high point of the wall - but the views are best from the cairn.
P1040184(1).JPG
The easy stroll up beside the dyke
P1040188(1).JPG
The summit
On the return to the car I enjoyed the views over to Mount Blair, relishing the easy walking on the cropped grass of the hill - not what I was to experience the next day on Beinn a' Chuallaich!
P1040183(1).JPG
Looking over to Mount Blair (with the new road being constructed)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland