walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Postby maxie23 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 16/05/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.2 km

Ascent: 1145m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Third attempt at these two.
First time bad weather on hill stopped play.
Second time couldn't get along the loch side road due to it's impression of a skating rink, went up to Crianlarich instead and done An Caisteal in the snow, cracking day.
Arrived at Ardvolich house at 12.20 and had to scout around for a parking place off the road, busy day.
Made steady progress up through the fields filled with plenty of new lambs.
ImageDog gate at stile by robert irvine, on Flickr
Weather was sunny with a brisk easterly wind.
The path across the open moor on the lower slopes has been greatly improved since I was last here, respect to all involved.ImageNew path up Ben Vorlich by robert irvine, on FlickrImageView back down to Loch Earn by robert irvine, on Flickr
Further up, the path deteriorates a bit, but it was bone dry today so no problems.
The views really began to open out as you got a bit higher.ImageView across Loch Earn to Lawers range and Tarmachan Ridge by robert irvine, on FlickrImageLawers range zoomed in by robert irvine, on Flickr
Met plenty of people on the way to the summit, nice to say hello to folks.
Rather windy on the final pull up through the slippery scree.
Fantastic views from the
.ImageView across Loch Earn from Ben Vorlich summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Vorlich summit to Crianlarich hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Vorlich summit view of Stuc a'Chroin by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Vorlich summit ridge by robert irvine, on FlickrImageBen Vorlich lower summit to Forth Valley. by robert irvine, on Flickr
Had a seat for a little while on the lower end of the ridge, in the shelter of the cairn out of the wind.
Summit was becoming a bit busy, so I set of towards Stuc a'Chroin.
The path down to the bealach was pretty straightforward with only a couple of steep sections, the wind was really strong at times.
I had a look at the prow, it looked scary from down below, so I chickened out and went up the scree chute to the right, boy was it steep towards the top.
Once on the ridge the wind was really strong again but it calmed down as you got into the shelter of the prow.
Up to the summit and again the views were great.ImageStuc a Chroin summit view to Beinn Each by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStuc a Chroin lower summit to Crianlarich hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageCrianlarich hills zoomed in by robert irvine, on FlickrImageLower summit to Lawers range and Tarmachan Ridge by robert irvine, on FlickrImageLower summit to Ben Vorlich by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStuc a Chroin summit to Ben Vorlich by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStuc a Chroin summit to lower cairn by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStuc a Chroin summit to Crianlarich hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStuc a Chroin summit looking east by robert irvine, on FlickrImageStuc a Chroin summit to Ben Ledi by robert irvine, on Flickr
Sat for a while on the summit, nobody else about.
Eventually it was time to go and I retraced my route down the scree, this must be tricky in the wet.
Took a last look up at the prow from below.ImageThe prow from Coire Fhuadaraich by robert irvine, on Flickr
Then it was a very enjoyable gentle trek through the heather until you rejoin the ascent path and continue down to the loch.
Cracking day

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin 16 May 2019.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by maxie23 on Fri May 24, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sat May 18, 2019 10:06 pm

Great photos - perfectly capturing a gorgeous day to be among the hills!

The path is a lot improved - I mainly remember Ben Vorlich (over 20 years ago) as a big slope of slippery mud...

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby maxie23 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:31 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great photos - perfectly capturing a gorgeous day to be among the hills!

The path is a lot improved - I mainly remember Ben Vorlich (over 20 years ago) as a big slope of slippery mud...

Tim

Tim

Thanks mate, appreciate the comment.

After the hot weather up here recently, I think that is as dry a hillside as you are likely to get in Scotland.

Makes all the effort worthwhile when you get views like that.

Regards

Robert.
maxie23

Postby Graeme D » Sun May 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Lovely photos. Always nice to see photos of the summit of Vorlich and her views - a special place for me! :D :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby maxie23 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 pm

Graeme.

I paid my respects to Lucy at the top, what a beautiful resting place for her.

Robert.
maxie23

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland