Am Basteir: an Executed Circular Compleation
by arjh » Fri May 24, 2019 12:24 am
by old danensian » Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am
- I don't think choice came into it in the end. I seemed to be being lead inexorably there and, after watching Free Solo and Alex Honnold on Channel 4 last night, the fifteen feet of the Step pales into insignificance.a very brave choice for the final Munro
- yes, you've confused me with someone else there - my currently tally on that score is just two - the Dent Blanche and the Matterhorn - and sadly I don't think I'll be adding to them.you must be close to a full round of the 4000m peaks
And as for your comments about early routes - classic descriptions about a time when routes were literally made and not simply followed.
- I remember the day well - and we left the tiring youngsters descending as we pushed on to add the Corbett Sow - no stamina this young generation.I first met up … on the westerly Drumochter group
- thanks - I don't know how you maintain the momentum to keep us reading your own reports and wanting to know what happens next.… always thought provoking and entertaining in equal measure ...
Pete R -
- and not only did you managed to squeeze in 280 to 282 just before me - well done - did I miss the report? - but you're also now one in front of me on the Compleator list for posterity.… I was very much the same myself ...
- but I'll answer it all the same. No, I'm not doing a second round, and neither am I doing the Tops. But if there any awkward steps on the Corbetts I'll be looking out for your photographic support.… I won't pose the question that usually follows ...
- be honest - you're just miffed you missed out on the Talisker - maybe if we meet up on a future WH meet.… up there the day before … would have been fun to have met you ...
- it was simply that - quiet - the wind even dropped when I got to the top. Now you've got me following your kayaking blog and got me wondering - I've got a friend who has suggested it once or twice, and it's got my other half worrying.… the quiet satisfaction of compleating ...
- as I said in the report, the people you meet are part of making all the days special - and great that you've broken your duck on making a WH post - maybe more to come?… great to be part of your special day ...
Eva / Kevin -
- you should see the size of the to-do list for the garden - top of which is slug eradication. All the best when you get a grand day for AB - you'll be fine.… no more list ticking ...
- now hang on there, let's not over-do it. Just think, from amidst that generation of DofE students you've coerced round the hills, there may be another me for whom you bear sole responsibility. I hope we'll hammer out another Sunday Corbett at the end of a WH meet at some stage in the future.A Munroist and a Poet
Paul / Helen -
- in June 2011, on a claggy clamber up Creag Meghaidh, you asked if I had any aspiration to do them all. I'd only done sixty then. I guess I've just said "yes."… a fitting mountain on which to finish ...
(For the curious - it's the collective name given to former pupils of the school I used to go to many, many moons ago - there maybe at least one other lurking on the site.)
by Sunset tripper » Fri May 24, 2019 3:47 pm
All the best
- Posts: 1560
- Joined: Nov 3, 2013
- Location: Inverness
by Graeme D » Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 pm
by past my sell by date » Sat May 25, 2019 5:49 pm
gaffr wrote:I have another apology to make regarding this post and my reply. I made a major faux pas by confusing the gentleman completest with another poster to the Forum.
I confused the gentleman with the gentleman who trades under the Forum name of 'past my sell by date'
Nice to be called Gentleman Gaffr - I think codger probably more appropriate.
I managed all the Swiss fourthousanders and the outliers, but the ones on Mont Blanc are just that bit longer and more serious and proved a bridge too far . There was also too much objective danger I felt: you can be the greatest, fittest and best equipped climber in the world, but if 10,000 tons of ice and snow decide to come down on you it matters not a jot
by DavidRDavis » Sun May 26, 2019 10:52 am
by Alteknacker » Sun May 26, 2019 2:28 pm
by Jaxter » Mon May 27, 2019 11:21 am
by Klaasloopt » Mon May 27, 2019 2:59 pm
by rockhopper » Tue May 28, 2019 2:41 pm