walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Hope on a Scorcher

Ben Hope on a Scorcher

Postby Christie22 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:38 am

Route description: Ben Hope

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope

Date walked: 15/05/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 1047m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my second consecutive (fairly easy) day in gorgeous weather in Sutherland. Having lost our way in low cloud many years ago, this was the chance to finally get to the top of Ben Hope. The pictures tell most of the story of a beautiful day, but here are a few points of note:

1. Wildfires were still burning away to the NE in Caithness. Later turned out that over 5,000 acres had been burned before rain saved the day.

2. View from top included Durness, Melness and Tongue.

3. Met two folk (Yvonne and Owen) on the summit, who are friends of my sister in Cambridge and who I have previously met only once - about 35 years ago! Bizarre.

4. I highly recommend either ascending (or preferably descending) by the route to the south along the edge of the escarpment above Strath More to Alltnacaillich farm. The path certainly hugs the edge at times and gives great views. It does mean coming back along the road but of course there was virtually no traffic. It also means that you get to see the wonderful waterfall above the farm and avoid descending by the eroded and tiresome path up beside the burn from the main parking area.

5. I took much longer to get round the circuit than I could have done but it's essential to take time to enjoy such a lovely day in such a beautiful part of the world.
Attachments
1. Approaching from the south through Strath More.jpg
Approaching from the south through Strath More
2 Looking east to Ben Loyal and distant wildfires.jpg
E to Ben Loyal and the distant wildfires in Caithness
3 Looking west to Foinaven.JPG
W from the summit to Foinaven
4 Looking north to Loch Hope and Loch Eriboll.jpg
Looking N to Loch Hope with Loch Eriboll and Durness beyond
5 Looking NE to the smoke cloud from the wildfires.jpg
Looking NE to the smoke bank caused by wildfires in Caithness
6 Looking S to Strathmore and the escarpment route of return.JPG
Looking S to Strath More and the return route along the escarpment
7 Typical view from escarpment path.JPG
Typical view from the path along the escarpment edge
8 Alltnacaillich Waterfall.JPG
The fabulous waterfall above Alltnacaillich farm
9 Curious wildlife.JPG
Looks like they don't see many people....
Christie22
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:6

Re: Ben Hope on a Scorcher

Postby 3peaker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks great report with some excellent photos - thanks for the views from the summit I climbed Ben Hope in 2011 in thick mist and heavy rain with no vis so it`s nice to see the surrounding countryside in the far north. Regards
3peaker
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland