walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BACK ON THE TRAIL: STUC A'CHROIN REDEMPTION

BACK ON THE TRAIL: STUC A'CHROIN REDEMPTION

Postby lairdoharray » Fri May 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Date walked: 17/05/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 830m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I needed something not too steep to ease myself back in after 8 months of relatively level going. I have lost a bit of weight in that time, but the legs are nearly 65 years old and uphill seems to get harder. However, I am not giving up. On the contrary, I have cut away back on golf in favour of something that I can do and hopefully I will have a fuller bag of hills before the end of the year!

So, to Stuc A' Chroin from the Callander side. Books reckoned that it was boring, but as you can see Stuc from lots of places to the south, I reckoned that the reverse must be true. It was a good choice. The walk in is longish, but not unreasonably so. The crew from the Queensferry Crossing seemed to have warmed-down by building new bridges over Keltie Water and its tributary, so no wading is required. 2hrs 50 to get up and 2.20 to get down. A clear route all the way, albeit that the weather was ideal.

I had done Vorlich a couple of years ago but my companion didn't feel up to the double. The two together might be interesting, although care is required in that trip. I know personally of someone who perished in 1991 and am grateful to have made the trip safely.
lairdoharray
Mountain Walker

Munros:105   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland