walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geal Charn - Easy single from Balsporran Cottages

Geal Charn - Easy single from Balsporran Cottages

Postby jwramsay » Sun May 26, 2019 2:56 pm

Date walked: 26/05/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 614m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Only needed this single on the West of the Drumochter Pass as I got 3 on my previous visit here, so a nice Friday afternoon walk from Balsporran Cottages to Geal Charn (917m)

You cross the railway track at the cottages and shortly after the path splits, go left, but at the next split take right. The track is packed gravel and rocks for a fair distance an then abruptly stops and you are on the grassy slopes.

There is a false summit with the true summit an easy 1km walk past this.

The fork:

The Beauly to Denny Power line:

The second munro A'Mharconaich is a high beallach away and you would then return via this shoulder rather than retracing your steps like I did:

Closeup of A'Mharconaich:

View from the summit to the West:

A panoramic view of the East side of teh Drumochter pass:

A view south down the A9:

Youtube video of the walk:
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland