walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Linnhe views for pup's first hill and old boy's last

Loch Linnhe views for pup's first hill and old boy's last

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Druim na h-Earba

Date walked: 14/04/2019

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 2.2 km

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This year we're twice indebted to Walkhighlands for finding self catering accommodation that suited what we were needing and accepted dogs. At fairly short notice we were looking for a place to take our daughter, son in law and grandkids and were restricted to Easter school holidays which meant nearly everything was booked. Remarkably the week we needed was still available at Lapwing Rise, near Fort William. Next to a working croft with an enclosed garden for the kids and dogs to play and a great view over the canal to the Nevis range, it was perfect inside and out.

View from Lapwing Rise
DSC_0618-largec.JPG

For anyone interested this is the link

http://www.lapwing-rise.co.uk/

We arrived a day before the family so looked for a walk suitable for the dogs. At opposite ends of the age spectrum the length of walk they could cope with was about the same. At nearly 15 Jack was stone deaf with arthritic joints but still loved his walks. At 9 months Keira would have walked as far as you liked but advice is not to over exercise pups to avoid damage to immature joints so we were restricted to an hour max with plenty of stops.

Again I'm indebted to WH for finding this Sub 2000 and the report from Rodmiester in particular. Half an hour's walking up a gradually rising ridge sounded perfect. I even managed to persuade my better half with his dodgy knee to come too.

View from house of Druim na h-Earba which is rounded hill in centre
DSC_0620-largec.JPG

What makes this hill so accessible is the minor road that conveniently crosses it's north eastern flank, with a parking bay beside a picnic area and seat to take in the view.

Druim na h-Earba from parking bay
DSC_0623-largec.JPG

Once through the gate it's advisable to keep dogs on lead as there are sheep in the first field to be crossed. This is when the pup discovered she has a taste for sheep poo and I spent the first part of the route weaving her through tempting offerings of same. Why do female dogs do this? We've had 3 black female labs who did and 3 yellow males who didn't. Is it the instinct of the female to clear up from their pups perhaps?

Start of climb
DSC_0627-large.JPG

Ben Nevis backdrop
DSC_0628-largec.JPG

The grassy path leads gently uphill towards a second gate and once through that the dogs could come off lead as there are no sheep. The path continues more steeply ar first then gently up the undulating ridge with views of inner Loch Linnhe and Ben Nevis behind and outer Loch Linnhe ahead. We only came across two muddy patches, easily avoided, but that was following an unusually dry early spring.

Before we knew it we were at the summit from where the views are way out of proportion to the effort involved in getting there.

Druim na h-Earba summit
DSC_0634-largec.JPG

When we got Keira at 8 weeks she was a typically destructive pup, chewing the furniture and rearranging the garden, but at 9 months she was turning into a responsive, well behaved girl (apart from her liking for sheep poo!). We were proud of her that day and I thought then if I got round to writing a report on this walk it would be to celebrate her first hill.

Well done Keira
DSC_0633_EDITED-large.jpg

Or would it be to celebrate Jack's last? That thought didn't cross my mind as he showed no sign of slowing down that day, but who could know with an old boy of that age?

Well done Jack
DSC_0646-largec.JPG

We had wondered if it was fair to the old boy to bring a young puppy home - one that adored him and wanted to play when he just wanted to be left in peace. There was many a time he had to put her in her place, but he was also very patient with her and I'm sure she learned so much from him. After reaching the top it was interesting to see the way she wanted to play with him, reminding me of Jack and Tess in their early hillwalking days having similar frolics at the summit - like they knew it was time to celebrate.

Come on, It's time to play!
DSC_0648c-large.JPG

But the pup knew who was boss and followed him everywhere. It's fascinating to watch the interaction between dogs.

DSC_0641-largec.JPG

View south to WHW skirting Mullach nan Coirean
DSC_0636-largec.JPG

Ben Nevis climbed by Jack in 2008
DSC_0637-largec.JPG

DSC_0640-largec.JPG

On the descent
DSC_0649-largec.JPG

Fort William and we could just about make out our holiday house at Banavie
DSC_0651-largec.JPG

When I reached the gate at the foot of the steep bit, Pete was out of sight. The dogs were with me and after a couple of minutes waiting the old dog climbed back up the hill to look for him. I didn't want him to go as he was probably exhausted but he was determined and kept going until he met Pete coming slowly down the path, due to his painful knee. That was our Jack, determined to the end, and if he'd decided he was doing something, he did it.

Just one month later, on 16th May, we had to say goodbye to Jack. It's always a tough call to make but in the end he went down quite quickly and we knew the time had come. He went with dignity, wagging his tail to everyone at the vet's, just as he always did. It was a day I've dreaded for years.

He came in a crate from Ireland to be picked up by my friend Kathryn and taken to LRNW. He was 9 months old. We saw his photo on the website and told ourselves we couldn't drive from Inverness to Chorley and back in one day. So on 5th May 2005, the day of the General Election, we went down for him, a 15 hour round trip.

He was a lovable hooligan and it took a lot of work to curb his strong prey drive enough to take him on the hills. But we got there and he turned into a great hill dog with 75 Munros and many lower hills under his belt. There are so many memories - too many for here - but I've picked out ten photos that bring back hill days as fresh as if they were yesterday.

One of his earliest Munros - Meall na Teanga
DSC00053-medium.jpg

The day he did a U turn to the whistle when racing towards campers cooking sausages!

Beinn a' Chlachair
DSC00215-medium.jpg

When he and Tess did a sponsored climb of Ben Nevis.

Ben Nevis
DSC00328-medium.jpg

Jack looked like he enjoyed views - but more likely he was looking for birds or deer he wouldn't be allowed to chase.

Beinn Dearg
DSC00422-mediumc.jpg

A natural poser on any suitable rock - this one with view of Loch Carron on way up Sgorr Ruadh.

Sgorr Ruadh
DSC00884-medium.jpg

He and Tess had such fun this day racing around in the snow.

Mullach Clach a' Bhlair
DSC01234-larges.jpg

A gorgeous day on the Easains when he led the way. Even when the path wasn't clear he knew the way to go - following the scent of other walkers.

Stob Coire Easain
DSC01348-larges.jpg

When Moira was having issues with her ankle and Jack stayed close at the tricky bits, as if he knew. He had an intuitive sense of when things were difficult and stayed close, like coming down the steep part by the wall on Beinn Dearg. I could never work out if it was for our benefit or his.

Beinn a' Chochuill
DSC02334-large.jpg

The first time I walked solo with the dogs and got this view into Fisherfield. They were such good companions.

Beinn Airigh Charr
DSC_0931-large.jpg

Jack's last Munro day was in 2013 when we did the Affric trio with Liz and Roger and he was so tired at the end I realised it had been too long a walk for a dog of his age. After that we stuck to shorter days which he managed fine. Two of his last Corbetts were Meall Dubh and Beinn Loinne.

Meall Dubh
DSC03647-largej.JPG

It wasn't only on the hills he shone. He also had a calmness around children that enabled even the most nervous to approach him and want to hold his lead.

I don't think we'll see his like again. He was one in a million.
Last edited by dogplodder on Thu May 30, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Loch Linnhe views for pup's first hill and old boy's las

Postby thepigguy » Thu May 30, 2019 4:37 pm

What lovely dogs. It's grand that the old boy was active almost right to the end. We have three elderly dogs, none of whom have climbed a load of Munros like Jack, but the younger two (14 and 12) often come with me up our local Marilyn - I hope they enjoy it as much as Jack obviously did.

And Druim na h'Earba looks a really nice hill. There's a lot to be said for "easy" hills with terrific views.
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Postby BlackPanther » Thu May 30, 2019 5:42 pm

A wonderful tribute to a faithful friend.

I know it must have been hard for you to say good bye to two dogs in such a short period of time. At least Jack had a long and happy life, doing what dogs like most. I'm sure running up and down hills is written into their genetics!

As for rolling in sheep poo... My late dog had a thing for rolling in roadkill :? :? We struggled to keep him away from dead birds etc. Guess that is also written into their genetics :wink:

I'm sure Keira will be another fantastic companion on long walks. She looks adorable!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu May 30, 2019 6:44 pm

They leave paw prints on our heart's that will last forever,a fitting tribute to a dear friend.

RIP Jack........GLW
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby maxie23 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:53 pm

What a fitting tribute for a lovely dog who had such an active and fulfilling life.

Your young one Keira is a beautiful looking girl.

We have two lovely boy labs who are now 13 and 10 years old.

They certainly do become your best friends.

Regards.

Robert.
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu May 30, 2019 8:26 pm

A lovely tribute to the old boy. He lived a life, didn't he.

Here's to future days with the young 'un.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu May 30, 2019 8:38 pm

What a fitting tribute to a pair of lovely dogs :clap: :clap: - I really enjoyed walking with Jack (and Tess) and Keira is a pleasure to come. What wonderful memories you have of your dogs and what a great life you give them :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby KatTai » Thu May 30, 2019 9:10 pm

So sorry to hear about Jack, he had a fantastic life with you and what a wonderful adventure he had that day. Keira is stunning hope she enjoys lots of adventures in the hills!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Hillbeback » Fri May 31, 2019 11:38 am

I'm so glad Jack enjoyed his last wee hill walk in such a nice day. He had a very fulfilling life and looked like he enjoyed every minute of it.

The ending is never easy and filled with mixed emotions. Heartbreak and happy memories. All these happy memories will keep shining through and you will treasure them forever.

Such a lovely report and photos of a gorgeous looking boy (and girls too)

Moira.
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Graeme D » Fri May 31, 2019 10:16 pm

This certainly strikes a chord with me, as I know it also will with many kindred spirits in this community. Like many others on here, myself being one of them, you are a true dog person. It is in your blood and that's why you have them in your life, knowing fine well that the dreaded day will come. But the memories live on. They always do and they always will. We are hopefully going to welcome a new dog (hopefully another Lab) into our family in the next few months and we know that with that will come that dreaded day sometime in the future. But that's what we do. Thank you for sharing and happy dreams to Jack. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:07 pm

A lovely written report. RIP Jack, just a wonderful hill companion. Glad you got such a good day for his last.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:59 pm

What a lovely hill for Jack's last one, he looks like he enjoyed every minute of his blessed life.
And love to you too xx
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:43 am

thepigguy wrote:
And Druim na h'Earba looks a really nice hill. There's a lot to be said for "easy" hills with terrific views.

I agree. A few days later I took the grandkids (aged 6 and 4) and they loved it. :thumbup:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:50 am

BlackPanther wrote:A wonderful tribute to a faithful friend.

I know it must have been hard for you to say good bye to two dogs in such a short period of time.

I'm sure Keira will be another fantastic companion on long walks. She looks adorable!

Thanks BP. It's been a tough 2 years losing Tess in 2017, Callie last year and now Jack. But it's good therapy to have Keira to train up hopefully for some hill adventures ahead - provided I can keep going that is! 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:52 am

gammy leg walker wrote:They leave paw prints on our heart's that will last forever

They absolutely do.
dogplodder

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland