walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter Returns to Glen Affric - a Long Day and Two Corbetts

Winter Returns to Glen Affric - a Long Day and Two Corbetts

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri May 31, 2019 7:54 am

Route description: Càrn a' Choire Ghairbh and Aonach Shasuinn, Affric

Corbetts included on this walk: Aonach Shasuinn, Càrn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 04/05/2019

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video of adventure :

Spring snow showers had peppered me all day in Glen Strathfarrar the previous day and when I awoke in a frozen car at 4.30am the hills surrounding me were wearing their white coats – I couldn’t wait to get going!

It had been awhile since I had been to Glen Affric and it seems to hold long days on the hill if you want to get to the tops, and today was no exception.

Looking at the map , I knew I still had two Corbetts to tick off here so I was up early and raring to go. The highlight of the day as the early morning hike though the ancient forest, really stunning, especially with the white mountain back drop and blue skies, but all too soon I was leaving the forest behind and starting up the hill and onto the round of Corbetts.

It’s a bit of a trek to the first top but the views across Glen Affric are worth the hike alone. After te first summit you head south a little and the Glen Shiel Hills dominate the views, equally as stunning! It was typical spring weather – one minute being blasted by winter snow and the next the sun was basking down and layers being with drawn before the next snow shower arrived! Small paths appeared and disappeared and the under foot ground conditions were rough going at times. After topping out on the second Corbett a fantastic hike took me back through the Caledonian Forest (with spectacular views over Glen Affric) and a wee hike back to the car. It had been a long and demanding outing and all that was left was the wee drive home!!

A great day in the hills of Glen Affric

some photos :

ImageGen Affric hills by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageGlen Affric weather by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagemorning light affric by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageGlen Affric by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imageforest trees and mountains by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Winter Returns to Glen Affric - a Long Day and Two Corbe

Postby Mick Robertson » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:18 am

Great photos : )
Mick Robertson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:91
Fionas:3   Donalds:5

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland