walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A few Moray mounds

A few Moray mounds

Postby Alfachick » Fri May 31, 2019 4:02 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bin of Cullen, Knock Hill, Meikle Balloch Hill

Date walked: 24/02/2019

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Continuing my catching up on some walk reports from earlier in the year.

After my fairly hard day on the Cromdale hills the day before but still keen to tick off as many of the Moray hills as I could while based up that way I decided that a day doing some of the smaller and more isolated sub 2000s would be a good way to spend a Sunday.

Off I set, I figured I would start at the furthest away hill and work my way back towards my accommodation. Enter Bin of Cullen.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I just went straight up and down the easy path that leads to the summit. My legs were a little sore on the ascent after yesterdays walk but not as bad as I had expected.

IMG_1969 (1).jpg
Looking North West

IMG_1965 (1).jpg
Looking to the South at Ben Rinnes

On to the next!

A short drive in the car round to Knock, I decided that an approach from the Aberdeenshire side would be the quickest, although steep!
The path just goes straight up, nae messin!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_1970 (1).jpg
Looking towards Speyside and Ben Rinnies again.

One thing I do enjoy about these multi hill days is looking at where you have just been, most satisfying!

IMG_1973.jpg
Looking back at Bin of Cullen

Finally onto the last hill of the day, Miekle Balloch Hill, I was in two minds about whether I could really be bothered with it but I decided while I was in the area I might as well. A fairly pleasant walk up through some forestry paths up onto a heather moor to the top, some new paths have gone in here recently as well it seems.

IMG_1982.jpg
Looking over towards Moray and Aberdeenshire border.

All in a fairly boring bunch of hills, but some good views and some more blue balloons... :roll: I had planned to do a couple more on the way back but time had kind of run away from me and my poor little leggies were starting to ache somewhat. :?
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Re: A few Moray mounds

Postby Gordie12 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:28 pm

It's about time I had another of these type of days - good fun!!

It's also good to see reports on hills less walked.

What other hills had you planned to do that day????
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: A few Moray mounds

Postby Alfachick » Fri May 31, 2019 6:40 pm

Gordie12 wrote:

What other hills had you planned to do that day????

I had planned to do Brown Muir and or the Hill of the Wangie as they were still sitting as little red balloons on my map at this point.

They have since been conquered :lol:
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland