walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cesars' first TWO Munros

Cesars' first TWO Munros

Postby Alfachick » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda

Date walked: 01/06/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 510m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My husband and I managed to get out on the hills together at the weekend with the dogs.
We got a new puppy last September, although he has been out on the hills a few times already, but this is the first time that he has been over 3000ft!

So we figured we would tick off the last of the Cairnwell Munros for me and two nice easy ones for the pup, Cesar.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My husband and I have both previously climbed the Cairnwell. I climbed it as part of my dads completion expedition, in 2013, whilst carrying copious amounts of champagne and home baking. My husband climbed it on a whim while driving past with a few of his mates from uni way back in the day. So we both felt fine about not bothering to climb it again...

Having not been up a munro in a while and especially not at the weekend it was a bit of a shock that there were so many people around! To be honest there weren't really that many people, I guess I am just so used to being the only person on the hill. :lol:

We went up the usual way past the ski developments and then out the back to Carn a'Gheoidh, then retraced our steps and branched off to Carn Aosda, which was reached surprisingly quickly. We had thought about taking the direct route down under the ski lift, however we got down a little way then realised that it was going to be too steep, especially while we had the dogs dragging us off balance, so cut to the right and ended up going down between the ski runs and back onto the track.

IMG_2796.jpg
Pup on the top of his first munro!

IMG_2800.jpg
Hubby and pup walking ahead....

IMG_2816.jpg
The Cairnwell from the top of Carn Aosda

IMG_2817.jpg
The Cairnwell from the ridge on the way to Carn a'Gheoidh

IMG_2818.jpg
Brutus and Cesar waiting patiently for treats.

All in it was a quick and satisfying trip into the hills and two more blue balloons... :lol: :crazy:

By the end of the day the dogs were more mud than dog so needed a through hosing down before being allowed anywhere near to being in the house!
Oh the indignity.... :lol:

IMG_2835.jpg
Hose down time!
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland