walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Maximum bang for your hillwalking buck

Maximum bang for your hillwalking buck

Postby thepigguy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: S Airde Beinn

Date walked: 12/05/2019

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 3.2 km

Ascent: 138m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After making a meal of Tom nam Fitheach in the morning, I joined up with my wife, brother-in-law and sister-in-law later on to visit 'S Airde Beinn, which proved to be a much easier way of having fun.

It has to be one of the simplest Marilyns in Scotland - you could probably bag the summit from the road in 40 minutes - but on a bright sunny day it's delightful. The views to the north towards Ardnamurchan, Rum, Skye, Moidart and even over to Ben Nevis are terrific and likely to make you feel guilty you didn't work just that little bit harder for it.

We parked in the old quarry up the road from the start of the walk and headed back down the road to the derelict cottage, turning through the gate towards the hill. After a very dry spell, the going was easy, but I can imagine there would be a few soggy bits to keep you interested outwith the summer months.
20190512_114712.jpg
On the way up

There's a newish fence with a gate shortly before the final climb and we then decided to go to the right following a path by a wall which took us to the loch shore.
20190512_115852.jpg
First sight of the crater loch

We then headed uphill to one of the many summits around the loch before dropping down (going clockwise round the loch) and climbing the main summit.
20190512_122134.jpg
Crater loch

20190512_122800.jpg
Me looking suitably embarrassed at having a picture taken at the top of a really small hill

20190512_122739.jpg
The loch and Ben Hiant and other hills in Ardnamurchan

20190512_122737.jpg
Sally and Kathy with Scotland - lots of it

We followed the ridge around the loch, stopping many, many times to take in the views on a fabulous Mull afternoon.
20190512_123759.jpg
It's quite hard to escape Ben More's prescence in this part of Mull

20190512_124429.jpg
Looking back at the summit as we made our way around.

We eventually dropped back down to the wall and returned the way we came. A brilliant couple of hours strolling in the Mull sunshine, I totally recommend it.
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland