walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordiadh - the rain is coming

Meall Ghaordiadh - the rain is coming

Postby yesper » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:46 am

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 04/06/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 876m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Landing in Edinburgh around 2pm, a drive to Killin and quick check-in at the hotel, to my surprise I found the rain was still not here. I promised myself I would give it a go in case the rain was late (compared to the forecast I saw in the morning).

Meall Ghaordiadh was the closest Munro to my accommodation, and based on the reports on WH it would be possible to complete within 4 hours.

I drove to the starting point and followed the WH walk description, expecting the rain to come anytime.
start_only_car_around.jpg
Not a large car park - today it was more than enough

Even the clouds were high, so the visibility was good so far. Left the car just before 5PM, that meant that I had 5 hours to sunset - should be enough time.
start_meall_dhuin_croisg.jpg
From the start the meall dhuin croisg dominates the view

Easily found the cairn and the iron stick to the left, so made the turn up the boggy path that climbs the grassy hill side.
start_of_path.jpg
Turn here, the boggy path starts here

Tough work, an hour after start, the first glims of the summit appeared.
first_glims_of_summit.jpg
After an hours slog the summit shows

Still no rain, I was really enjoying to be back in the scottish hills, and felt lucky the weather was nice to me.

Arrived at the trig point in the surrounding stone shelter after 1hour and 40 minutes. Took the mandatory summit pictures and selfies to prove my achievement and rapidly started the descent.
summit_selfie_meall_ghaordaidh.jpg
Summit selfie

summit_glen_lyon.jpg
Glen Lyon with the dam from summit

tamarchan_lawers.jpg
Looking east the tarmachan ridge and the lawers ridge dominate

Half way down, the rain rolled in but that couldnt change my mood now - I might continued a bit faster, though.
lookwest_5min_from_summit.jpg
Ben More, Ben Challum and more of the hills to west shortly after starting the descent

Back at the car after 3 hours. Wet but happy. Munro 50 in the bag!
yesper
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:1
Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland