walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stronend stroll and Carleatheran circuit

Stronend stroll and Carleatheran circuit

Postby Chris Mac » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:40 am

Route description: Carleatheran and Stronend, near Kippen

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Carleatheran, Stronend

Date walked: 01/06/2019

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 24.4 km

Ascent: 750m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stronend-Carleatheran.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Time for one last group walk with the Stray Cats before we attempt the Three Lochs Way in a day. Not wanting to kill us before the big day meant it was the perfect time to visit Stronend and Carleatheran with the Gargunnock Hills promising a longer but easier ascent day of walking.

There would only be four of us due to injury, holiday commitments and one person in particular who was already doing a long distance walk up north. So just one car full today and I picked up the gang then we headed north from Milngavie then around to the east towards Kippen to try and find the car park.

Sat nav only got us so far before we found ourselves blocked by a gate into what looked like someone's castle, or at least a big house! I turned around then a loop round later we decided to ask a local who kindly pointed ut in the direction of Kippen to then double back on ourselves a road further south, advising that we would have to open a gate at one point but this was fine.

We finally made the parking spot and had lost some time but not to worry, the only deadline that evening was to get home in time for the champions league final. :D

From the parking spot at the start we double back and head along the road with Stronend in view:
ImageDSC_0001 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Through the gate towards Ballochleam, Lees Hill on to Carleatheran stretching out along the crags to our left:
ImageDSC_0002 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I thought we'd do Stronend first to get the out and back section out of the way early on. It was also the route with more obstacles and a grassy path compared to a track so putting them through their paces early was preferable than later on when they may be grumpier at trying to kill them on yet another longer-than-advertised walk! :wink: :lol:

Through a few gates and we were heading towards Stronend then veering left and gradually up towards the Spout of Ballochleam waterfall:
ImageDSC_0008 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Lees Hill on the left, a great looking sledging hill:
ImageDSC_0009 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Complete with bendy trees, it must be quite windy here the majority of the time!
ImageDSC_0010 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Good track, easy gradient, still in the good books! 8)
ImageDSC_0011 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stronend's crags and the Boquhan Burn, getting a bit more scenic now on our right:
ImageDSC_0012 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Spout of Ballochleam soon comes into view and looks great in spate:
ImageDSC_0017 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Nice picnic spot:
ImageDSC_0018 IMG_20190601_104421 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

That way to the summit of Stronend:
ImageDSC_0021 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Through another gate and we're at the unnamed bealach between Stronend and Carleatheran, welcome to the Moor:
ImageDSC_0024 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I tell the others the plan and we head over the gate towards the first Marilyn of the day:
ImageDSC_0025 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stronend:
ImageDSC_0026 IMG_20190601_105539 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

There is a decent quad track to follow that takes you through a few boggy sections and a flooded bit then down to the burn crossing point:
ImageDSC_0028 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

At the usual crossing point it was far too deep with all the recent rain and the burn was moving at some pace:
ImageDSC_0029 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I decided to head upstream to find a shorter crossing point or big boulders and had to go a fair bit up before finding a fence post across:
ImageDSC_0030 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The others followed and despite some initial hesitation soon came over, aided by holding a walking pole held at the other side, expertly done, all four still dry! :clap:

Back downstream to rejoin the path:
ImageDSC_0031 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Bouhan Burn has a lovely waterfall:
ImageDSC_0033 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0035 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

After brielfy overshooting it we're soon back on the continuing grassy quad track:
ImageDSC_0036 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As we approach the boulder shown on the hillside in the pic below we leave the double track to join a single grassy path past the boulder:
ImageDSC_0037 IMG_20190601_113210 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Behind us to the south Meikle Bin has popped into view:
ImageDSC_0044 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The mountains to the north were still covered in cloud and it had threatened to get sunny a few times but was luckily remaining dry and our two summits had been free of clouds all day so far.

We join another quad track, there are a fair few up here, that leads us straight to the large summit shelter cairn with trig point topping, BHK's favourites and i'm liking them more and more too. Just add a tarp and you have an instant tent, need to try it... :)
ImageDSC_0047 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Wullie approaches the summit:
ImageDSC_0052 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Campsies visible to the west but Loch Lomond and the bigger hills are still hidden:
ImageDSC_0053 IMG_20190601_114710 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Earl's Seat:
ImageDSC_0056 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Meikle Bin:
ImageDSC_0059 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

North... :(
ImageDSC_0063 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We sit and enjoy our lunch at the summit, the gang are in good spirits and enjoying the walk. Refueled we decide tos et off again and make fast progress back the way we came on the good grassy paths. Our destination, Carleatheran, looks a fair distance away! :crazy:
ImageDSC_0067 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

With the miles this lot have covered over the last few months this will be a breeze! :D

We're heading back down to the track then for the easier ascent we'll head right towards the wind turbines then east north east to the summit...
ImageDSC_0070 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

...before coming back down the grassy ridge path slightly north shown here:
ImageDSC_0077 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We soon reach the Boquhan Burn crossing point again and from the higher vantage point it looks like it will be easy to cross just next to the path after all, typical! :lol:
ImageDSC_0080 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I find a couple of large boulders and we cross easily:
ImageDSC_0083 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Passing the flooded section where you take a higher up path through the grass:
ImageDSC_0088 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Back through the gate to the track we have a quick water break:
ImageDSC_0094 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking south east to Cairnoch Hill:
ImageDSC_0096 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We head in the same direction along the track and everyone is happy to have an easy track and gradient to follow:
ImageDSC_0098 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back at Stronend, seems miles away now! Our descent was fairly quick:
ImageDSC_0100 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We see a couple aproach us at the other side ot the ford at Gourlay's Burn and the head to my left to cross further up. Janice and Wullie were ahead and I wonder what Janice will make of this next obstacle... a large fast flowing burn in spate that we need to cross! :crazy:

Now from previous walks Janice has spent a lot of time on her arse falling over tufts of grass, complainaing about steep paths, all in good humour of course but I was a bit worried how she may react since her Boquhan Burn crossings had been a bit nervous.... I need not have worried, as I caught up and looked over to see Tarzan's Janice swinging her way across the fence commando style!! :lol: :lol:
ImageDSC_0101 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Naturally Wullie was filming this in case it came in handy as blackmail material when they get back to work. :D

I went next and it was actually a tricky crossing due to the thin wire to grab onto that was also a little loose. All four across safely we continued uphill:
ImageDSC_0104 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Apart from the turbines ruining the view and peace we gain height to over 400m fairly quickly:
ImageDSC_0111 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's now just a nice undulating 60 or so metre gradual climb to the summit of Carleatheran:
ImageDSC_0112 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's another good looking, rocky summit:
ImageDSC_0113 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We walk and blether and after a bit we leave the track and follow an obvious grassy path direct to the summit:
ImageDSC_0119 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Meikle Bin behind us:
ImageDSC_0123 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Earl's Burn Reservoir 1 and 2 (I come on civil engineers, a bit of naming imagination please! :wink: ):
ImageDSC_0124 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Final grassy section:
ImageDSC_0126 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0131 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Summiting:
ImageDSC_0132 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Janice jumped for joy! :lol:
ImageDSC_0134 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We sat and enjoyed lunch part 2 in yet another good summit sheltern cairn with trig point and the view was also clearing up a little, with the Ochils, Stirling and the Wallace Monument more visible than earlier:
ImageDSC_0138 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Earl's Burn Reservoirs:
ImageDSC_0143 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Barely visible from the closer Stronend, I pointed out Conic Hill again directly to the west of us:
ImageDSC_0150 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Conic Hill's lumpy summit ridge in the distance:
ImageDSC_0151 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We're now a few kilometres north of Stronend where we were earlier and you can just make out Ben Bowie beyond it:
ImageDSC_0152 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Meikle Bin from Carleatheran:
ImageDSC_0156 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

All that was left now was to head back down on the grassy path along the top of the crags to the north and over Lees Hill back to the Spout of Ballochleam:
ImageDSC_0157 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

At last it was clearing up at the southern highlands:
ImageDSC_0158 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Venue in view:
ImageDSC_0159 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stuc Odhar, Ben Ledi and Ardnadave Hill:
ImageDSC_0160 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Each, Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorlich:
ImageDSC_0162 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's a very pleasant walk back down:
ImageDSC_0165 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Loch Lomond and Conic Hill more visible:
ImageDSC_0170 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

This section of the walk had a fair few boggy sections and although some of us had gaiters i've encountered much worse. Over the stile we go as we continue on to Lees Hill:
ImageDSC_0173 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0181 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

That's more like it, the southern highlands have returned although only the southern guardians so far, the rest still awaken from their slumber:
ImageDSC_0184 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Druim Ardoch, Callandar Craig and Tom Dubh in shadow behind Callander mirroring Beinn Each, Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorlich behind them:
ImageDSC_0190 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A few twists and turns, now heading south towards Meikle Bin:
ImageDSC_0194 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back towards the still visible second summit of the day:
ImageDSC_0195 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Meikle Bin again before we descend further and it disappears:
ImageDSC_0197 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Almost at Lees Hill:
ImageDSC_0198 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stronend:
ImageDSC_0200 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Those nice crags again:
ImageDSC_0203 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

And that nice view of the southern sentries of the highlands:
ImageDSC_0204 IMG_20190601_151144 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Throughout the walk we had seen a fair few sheep and lambs like these ones:
ImageDSC_0206 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We also saw a couple of sheep that were half-sheared, looking like they had escaped the clutches of the local farmer! :lol:

Boquhan Burn's small gorge coming down from Stronend:
ImageDSC_0208 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Lomond coming out of the mist:
ImageDSC_0210 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Almost back at the track:
ImageDSC_0214 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We reach a man-made pond and observe a load of tadpoles swimming around:
ImageDSC_0215 IMG_20190601_152954 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Heading back down the track:
ImageDSC_0219 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0221 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It was turning into a nice day now as we went through the gate with Ben Venue, Ben Ledi and the other big Strathyre hills dominating the view:
ImageDSC_0225 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Below the crags:
ImageDSC_0227 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Easy going for the final section:
ImageDSC_0229 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Sledging slopes:
ImageDSC_0232 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Ledi again with Stob Binnein and Ben More now visible back left:
ImageDSC_0233 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Easy going now:
ImageDSC_0234 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Cheerio Strathyre hills:
ImageDSC_0238 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The two horses we had passed at the start of the walk when they were at the other side of the field were now at the side of the path so we stopped to feed them both some grass and say hello:
ImageDSC_0247 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The big fellah then posed for me as a final parting shot with Stronend in the background behind him:
ImageDSC_0248 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We reached the car, 6.5 hours and 24.5km walked with 750m of ascent, not bad going. Everyone had enjoyed the walk and we were still dry, even better!

Instead of getting lost again going back the way we came :lol: we set off directly west along the single track road towards Fintry before heading south to Glasgow and dropping everyone off. Job done, now on to the big one next week! :shock:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Stronend stroll and Carleatheran circuit

Postby PeteR » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Nice one. A bit boggy in places, but I quite enjoyed this circuit when I did it. I didn't get anything much in the way of views though. It looked a bit hazy for you, but at least you saw more than I did.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland