walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Marsco a day ....... a sweet second best?

A Marsco a day ....... a sweet second best?

Postby JimboJim » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:17 pm

Route description: Marsco from Sligachan

Fionas included on this walk: Marsco

Date walked: 31/03/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 742m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, the previous day had ended with a superb hike, but ultimate failure on Sgurr nan Gillean. Having retired for a bar meal and pint, Steve was more optimistic things would be better for the In Pinn, the next day. "What forecast app are you using?!" I thought :lol:

Next morning brought the high winds I was seeing on the Met Office. Stiff waves blowing across Loch Harport. Sky was to clear a bit, but with gusts of 30mph plus, it was too risky to contemplate. I had expressed an enthusiasm for doing Marsco some day, so we decided on that as a safer option, Steve still having plans to do Sgurr Alasdair the following day.
Marsco 015_1024_768.JPG
Early morning view of SnG, the day after.

Marsco 018_1024_768.JPG
Sgurr nan Gillean, Am Basteir and Sgurr a' Bhasteir, as we set off.

While we waited till the winds abated, I took a drive over to Loch Talisker for a nosey and there to my surprise were some warships playing off the coast, so i was able to indulge in a bit of ship spotting, another pastime of mine :) I didn't have time to check out the shore as I turned around to pick up Steve in Carbost.
Marsco 011_1024_768.JPG
Navy and airforce games week.
Marsco 003_1024_705.JPG
HDMS Absalon (probably), off Loch Talisker.
The weather had calmed a little as we set off from Sligachan at the back of 10am, following the route as per WH's. Very boggy up the side of the Allt na Measarroch, between Marsco and the other Red Hills, as stated. Bonnie Prince Charlie must have had a fine pair of wellies when he crossed the pass at night, between Marsco and Beinn Dearg Mheadhonach, as he walked from Portree to Elgol to escape troops pursuing him. He would have had no bother outpacing me, as I must admit, I was feeling tired after our day on SnanG the day before.

Views gradually began to open up through to Glamaig, Garbh Bheinn and Bla Bheinn. The route up then steepens considerably and had me puffing like Ivor the Engine. Marsco, may not even be a Corbett, but it is no easy touch.
Marsco 037_1024_697.JPG
Glamaig, Beinn Dearg Meadhonach, Beinn Dearg Mor.
Marsco 036_1024_670.JPG
Loch Ainort.

Once up on the ridge, the views of Loch Scavaig and the Cuillin ridge are even more spectacular, particularly Sgurr nan Gillean and to think we had to turn back, only 50 metres from the top, yesterday!
Marsco 043_1024_745.JPG
Great view over to Sgurr nan Gillean. Hard to imagine me being nearly on its summit yesterday!
Marsco 044_1024_742.JPG
Can't get enough of these views :)
Marsco 053_1024_745.JPG
Over Loch na Creitheach, Elgol, Loch Scavaig and beyond.
Marsco 050_1024_768.JPG
Sgurr Alasdair left, Sgur Mhic Choinnich.
Marsco 048_1024_217.JPG
Bla Bheinn, round the Black Cuillin.
Marsco 047_1024_209.JPG
Pano over to the Cuillin ridge.

Still a bit of a wander up to the summit, as the ridge narrows considerably, but nothing too tricky, although cold wind was still gusting strongly. Took a regretful look over to the In Pinn, but knew it was the right thing to stay clear today.
Marsco 034_1024_768.JPG
The In Pinn, out of bounds today :)
Marsco 042_1024_768.JPG
Steve, at the top of Marsco. A sweet wee hill :)
Marsco 054_1024_751.JPG
That's me!
Marsco 060_1024_768.JPG
Superb hills.
20190405_123620_1024_576.jpg
Steve, with SnG, as a backdrop.
Marsco 058_1024_768.JPG
Time to head down.

Few photo's and we turned around for home. As always, trip back seemed lengthy, especially the boggy bits, but we were treated to a spectacular fly past, as a Eurefighter did some acrobatics as it came over Sgurr nan Gillean and directly overhead. It took us 5 hrs for the trip but, was a great, wee hill as compensation for our higher aspirations.
Skye Mobile 008_1024_576.jpg
Back to the bealach.
Marsco 066_1024_768.JPG
Garbh Bheinn and Blaven.
20190405_124444_1024_576.jpg
Out to Rum and Eigg, just about visible in the haze.
Marsco 080_1024_712.JPG
Ok, you might not spot it, but managed to get a quick shot at the Eurofighter, right over SnG :)

Shared a coffee with Steve, before we went our separate ways. I traveled home with thoughts about not managing a Munro, either day, feeling Steve, would have done better with a fitter, more experienced climber for company, but still having had a superb time to myself, which is what it is about, isn't it :D
Marsco 094_1024_745.JPG
Last look at Marsco before heading home.
Marsco 087_1024_686.JPG
Sligachan.

Alas, for Steve, the weather stayed mince and he traveled home next morning without even getting the gear on for Sgurr Alasdair.

Till the next time!
Marsco 096_1024_768.JPG
Still looking back!
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: A Marsco a day ....... a sweet second best?

Postby old danensian » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Anything with a view like that in such a setting is definitely not second best - it’s the corny cliche that size doesn’t matter.
I wonder how many of us have spent years and years going back to Skye and Marsco has just been the ever-present backdrop - always the Skye bridesmaid - sorry, another cliche crept out there.
OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby JimboJim » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Thanks, OD. Yeh, stunning views and I have always had to be a believer in at least one of your cliche's :lol: Will I get back to try another of the Cuillin - only time will tell. Never mind, all's well, that ends well :D
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Not a second best at all, it is a lovely hill. It does get blowy round about there, but you don't seem to have had it too bad. Like you, we wouldn't contemplate the Inn Pin in those conditions. We got a tremendous wind funneled through that pass, and I was all for going back, but husband started CRAWLING, so I followed suit for 50 metres or so, and then it got so we could stand up. As we were coming down, we spotted some guys in exactly the same spot with anoraks flapping and they decided to turn back. I was catching them up as I skipped down, and wondered if I would/should say anything as I passed. "It wasn't so bad once you got past that bit!" sounded a bit like crowing. However, being a show-off, I took my woolly hat off as I nearly reached them, so they could see my granny hair, and promptly tripped over my bootlaces and from falling on my rucksack straps acquired the rotary cuff tear in my shoulder from which I still suffer, as they don't attempt mending in the over 70s (not thro' ageism, but they find it just pulls out again). Most graphic instance of Pride coming before a Fall.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby JimboJim » Thu May 05, 2022 11:32 am

Sgurr wrote:Not a second best at all, it is a lovely hill. It does get blowy round about there, but you don't seem to have had it too bad. Like you, we wouldn't contemplate the Inn Pin in those conditions. We got a tremendous wind funneled through that pass, and I was all for going back, but husband started CRAWLING, so I followed suit for 50 metres or so, and then it got so we could stand up. As we were coming down, we spotted some guys in exactly the same spot with anoraks flapping and they decided to turn back. I was catching them up as I skipped down, and wondered if I would/should say anything as I passed. "It wasn't so bad once you got past that bit!" sounded a bit like crowing. However, being a show-off, I took my woolly hat off as I nearly reached them, so they could see my granny hair, and promptly tripped over my bootlaces and from falling on my rucksack straps acquired the rotary cuff tear in my shoulder from which I still suffer, as they don't attempt mending in the over 70s (not thro' ageism, but they find it just pulls out again). Most graphic instance of Pride coming before a Fall.

Sorry, I missed your reply Sgurr. After such a fine response, it is only right to have a bit of a wry chuckle at your misfortune. So easily done. Have had lot of shoulder problems myself last few months, so know only too well, how much you must regret that one.

Yes, Marsco is second to not many :) I remember seeing it mentioned here and there and being ignorant, thought it must be a typo, or spelling mistake. I was delighted to learn it was a real name and subsequently, a mountain on Skye, which I then had ambitions to climb. I believe it may derive from Norse name for seagull, which I csn just about comprehend.

Am due to visit Skye at end of month, so might go for it again, Covid permitting, that is. Down with the dreaded lurgy just now, hence skimming through some old reports...... and making late, very late reply to some comments, due to being stuck in bedroom :crazy:
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland