walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullach Fraoch-choire from the NE, not as we planned

Mullach Fraoch-choire from the NE, not as we planned

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Fraoch-choire

Date walked: 29/05/2019

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1040m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was our final day (Wednesday) at Strawberry Cottage, the 8 of us were splitting up - Parminder and myself were intending to tackle Mullach Fraoch-choire and A'Chralaig the direct way from the north. The other 6, led by George are tackling the Carn Eige 3 via a slightly different route (and if you are lucky a WR may appear?).
Parminder and I were up early as usual and were on our way before 7.30am, there was a heavy overnight dew so the grass and undergrowth was rather damp. The sun was beating down and it didn't take us long to start perspiring profusely.
From the cottage we followed the track from Athnamulloch which took us to the bridge across the quite large tributary that joins the River Affric in about 100m.
Once over the bridge the terrain was undulating, heathery, mushy and the dreaded peat hags.

Early morning shot looking east

That is where we are heading

For us, it was over the bridge to the cottage and follow an ATV track west

River Affric looking east and gorgeous

Looking west

Parminder leading the way over the bridge before the fun begins

The river that the wee bridge goes over

The terrain that lies ahead, doesn't look that bad!!

Doesn't look that inviting now

Don't we just over peat hags, not sure what the mini rainbow things are?

We were fortunate in that it was dry, after a deluge this would be even less fun

We followed the ATV track, hoping for or expecting a gate or something - wrong

No gate, so we opted to scale the deer fence at a junction

We were navigating on the hoof, picking a spot on the horizon to aim for and then avoiding any obstacles that we didn't see

Looking west down Glen Affric from our lowly vantage point

Next obstacle

Now for some real going up, thankfully the grass was dry and shortish. We were both struggling a bit at it was a tad on the warm side

At last we had gained some proper height and the views were stunning. Looking back down the shoulder we had struggled up, Loch Affric in the distance

Looking across Glen Affric to yesterdays final hill Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan

Looking back from slightly higher up

Our first destination Mullach Fraoch-choire, still rather alot of ascending to be done, but of the easier variety

Parminder posing in front of yesterdays hills, by a large cairn on the shoulder

Getting nearer now, the ridge off the summit can now be seen

Looking across/along the ridge to A'Chralaig

Looking back along our ascent route

Looking north from the summit of Mullach Fraoch-choire, lots of pointy looking hills

Parminder tucking into his well earned lunch

We spent quite a bit of time on the summit, which is not what I normally do. The weather was fantastic as were the views. I told Parminder that I couldn't manage the rest of our plan and suggested he could continue if he wanted, but he opted to keep me company. One factor in deciding to throw in the towel was scanning the terrain near A'Chralaig and looking for a possible alternative desent route. The thought of retracing our steps back to the summit of MFc was certainly not something that was appealing to me. The sad thing is Parminder may never experience the ridge between the 2 summits, as we hope to tackle A'Chralaig from Cluanie, that would be a shame as the ridge really is a wee treat.

Video from the summit of MFc

The rest of the ridge to A'Chralaig

Parminder pointing to A'Chralaig

Time to head back down the way we came - until a bit lower down when we would descend via a different route

Here is the large cairn on the ascent I mentioned earlier

This is the descent route we opted for - off piste

Looking back up, the loose stony terrain was about to change into short dry grass

Not a tree of life, we are heading down to the bendy bit in the river, Loch Affric in the distance

Water feature, terrain got a bit steeper

Bonus video for you

Not much descending left, old livestock holding area ahead - no livestock seen anywhere in the Affric area

Looking back, thankfully we didn't have to scale this deer fence

Our crossing point, daresay we could have wandered up and down the river to look for a better place but we didn't bother

A very posh stile

Really enjoyed this challenge and a huge thanks to Parminder for persevering with my slowness. We were so fortunate with the weather during our 3 day stay at the cottage, next day in Fife it rained all day.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:151   Corbetts:46
Grahams:35   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:95   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Mullach Fraoch-choire from the NE, not as we planned

Postby parminder » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Braw script, braw photos. Thanks for your company on a braw day out... :clap:
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   Corbetts:5
Grahams:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:19   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland