walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg group of 4

Beinn Dearg group of 4

Postby Coop » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 07/06/2019

Time taken: 9.7 hours

Distance: 26.7 km

Ascent: 1569m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had thought about only doing 2 today until I got upto the wall and that plan went out the window as if was a great day and Beinn Dearg, cona meall and meall nan caipraichean are all so close
Today my calfs and thighs dont think it was a good plan :D

A tale of bridges- just at the start and end!!!
Bumped into a lad on a bike from Inverness- cheers Andy, great walk. Ended up at the dam where he ditched the bike. Hummed and aaghed about this point and the bridge to cross. Ended up staying on the south side of the river for a fair bit. Tough going and no bridges- that's what happens when you walk and talk and dont get the map or GPS out. Bridge was miles behind. Realised we had to get across somewhere and up - steeply!! Which we did.
Basically followed the WH route. Hi to the lad from London we met on Beinn Dearg and the lad from Aberdeen whom I met in the hostel the night before.
I'll cut to the bit between Meall nan Ceapraichean and Eididh nan Clach Geala. It was a good clear day yesterday and I didn't find it too bad getting down to the lochans, but if it is misty take care as theres a lot of crags to negotiate if you don't get a good line down and get onto the wee path "eventually"
It occurred to me at this point as well I was coming up to a wee milestone No. 250
Up to No4 today and a bit of a break, all 4 caught up here again and had a chin wag then we all went our separate ways.
Back down and stayed on the good path all the way to the gate.
Saunted along- saw a bridge going over the river. Wayhey I'll get over here- into a whole world of pain. :D ,
It was only about 100m up to the track- through an overgrown wet jungle of decaying rot and trees.
Some old bridge that's been here for donkeys years
Moral here - just get the right bridge, AGAIN
Big day today after yesterday's wet and miserable day on the fannichs, and it was up there with the best. Fantastic views
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland