walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine and Salad at Abriachan

Sunshine and Salad at Abriachan

Postby MusicalHiker » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Route description: Abriachan Trails

Date walked: 07/06/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been wanting to explore this walk for a while, and I waited for a good day. After all this rain recently, I thought it would be a good idea to stick to something with a path, too - everything's so wet and I thought Little Wyvis might be a bit too boggy!

Up early, and drove the 20 minutes to Abriachan (oh I'm soooo happy we've moved off the Northern Isles and now all of this wonderful Highland landscape is on the doorstep!)

This was also a good one for Trevor, who doesn't really like being dragged up mountains, but likes walking with me. I carried our backpack with lunch in it. We stopped at the plentiful benches along the way, and enjoyed the bird hide too. There is so much to do here for children - I'd have loved it when I was little! However, on a Thursday morning we had the place to ourselves. The benches and sculptures are getting a bit tired now, but would have been impressive when they were new.

We stopped for (early) lunch in the little sheiling, which would be great shelter in bad weather. Tuna, red pepper and sweetcorn salad with wholemeal pasta.... delicious. It was fine to get out of the sun for a bit - but it was back to rain (and thunder) the next day.....

I took some photos; there were lots of butterflies including some that I'd never seen up in Orkney. Here is a selection of pictures, which should give you a good idea of what to expect - there's one steep section up to the summit of the hill but apart from that it's pretty easy going!

DSC_4171.jpg
Very picturesque composting loo!

DSC_4173.JPG
Bird art

DSC_4174.JPG
More bird art

DSC_4177.JPG
Views from the bird hide

DSC_4178.JPG
Dragonfly pool

DSC_4182.JPG
Orange tip butterfly

DSC_4189.JPG
More butterflies!

DSC_4191.JPG
Just before the steep bit

DSC_4196.JPG
Trees bursting into life

DSC_4200.JPG
Rustic bench.... was probably very impressive a few years ago!

DSC_4203.JPG
Pole based sculptures.... near the top

DSC_4205.jpg
Approaching the top of Carn na Leitire

DSC_4206.JPG
Summit cairn

DSC_4209.JPG
Cairn, complete with a Musical Hiker!

DSC_4210.JPG
Path going back downhill

DSC_4212.JPG
Stopped here for lunch, with views of Loch Ness and the sea.

DSC_4216.JPG
Views from the sheiling

DSC_4217.JPG
Track back to the car park
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland