walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crianlarich round

Crianlarich round

Postby yesper » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:42 am

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin, Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 07/06/2019

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 25.7 km

Ascent: 1622m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast promished a day with good visibility - well, maybe an hour or little more with rain - and I decided to do a hill walk, even though I had tired and a little sore legs from Aonach Eagach traverse the previous day. Staying at the hostel my plan was to start early from Crianlaric and "simply" take my time heading up to Cruach Ardrain through the forrest. Starting at 7.45am, I had 4 munros as target - Cruach Ardrain, Beinn Tulaichean, Beinn a´Chroin and An Caisteal. Most of the walk would follow good path, but I was a bit unsure about the pathless crossing from Beinn Tulaichean to Beinn a´Chroin.

The path starts at the youth hostel car park with a sign "Mountain view path" (as I remember it), turn right twice ending up on a forrest road. Again, turn right and follow the road for 1 km, ignoring the first road on left, and then turn left at the second road to the left. After 400 meters you will find a small cairn on right hand, this is the start of a "short cut" path going more directly upwards to the hills. It is a faint and extremely boggy path and I think you might instead should stay on the road and turn right after few hundred meters. Both ways will get to the point where the boggy path cross this forrest road marked with another small cairn. The rest of the way up to a fence is a nightmare - I will not call a path, it is stream that runs down and gives a narrow line up between dense trees. A tough fight against trees, water and soft, buggy steep ground. This fight seems to go for a long time, however, it is only 300-400 meters, and relieved you will reach the edge of the forrest and get out into the open. The climb continues uphill more or less pathless and when getting to a minor hill to, you will see a still crossing a fence. The worst part was now behind.

From here you will easily find a path climbing the ridge.
view_to_beinn_achroin_and_an_caisteal.JPG
View to beinn a´Chroin and An Caisteal from the ascent to Cruach Ardrain

Nearing the summit of Cruach Ardrain the path goes steeply around the hill side to the right and is some places quite eroded. The path meets the path from Beinn Tulaichean. Turn left to complete the climb to the summit. To reach the true eastern summit there is a final drop and short re-ascent.
cruach_ardrain_summit_selfie.jpg
Summit selfie Cruach Ardrain

cruach_ardrain_summit_with_ben_more_in_background.JPG
Cruach Ardrain summit, Ben More in the background

The crossing to Beinn Tulaichean is easy, simple follow the path, the ascent is quickly done.
tulaichean_from_cruach_ardrain.JPG
Beinn Tulaichean from Cruach Ardrain summit

beinn_tulaichean_summit_selfie.jpg
Summit selfie Beinn Tulaichean

cruach_ardrain_from_tulaichean.JPG
Looking back to Cruach Ardrain from Beinn Tulaichean

So far the weather was good. With sore legs I now had to make a decision. I have looked at the maps many times to figure out how to make a crossing over to Beinn a´Chroin without too much ascent.
route_from_tulaichean_to_stob_glas.JPG
Red line is the actual route, the yellow is probably a better line

I think I followed the path back towards Cruach Andrain a bit too far and I had to do a steep descent into the Coire Earbm steeper than I had planned. I passed under the crags and climbed up to cross over Stob Glas expecting to find an easy way down to the bealach on the other side. It was not that easy, but with som move forth and back, I managed descending the steep grassy hill side, avoiding the cliffs and crags as good as possible. But it was quite time consuming and I did consider to bail out and just descent down to River Falloch and call it a day. But I love being in the hills, so why leave?
line_of_descend_from_stob_glas.JPG
Actual route down from Stob Glas

It was now raining but I kept going, telling myself that I had all the time I needed and I could take all the necessary breaks.

Getting down to the bealach was one thing, getting up to the path was another thing. The hill side is steep and grassy.
clouds_cover_two_munro_from_hill_side_of_beinn_achroin.JPG
Looking back while ascending Beinn a`Chroin - clouds now cover Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean summits

But suddenly I found myself on the path going up. The rain stopped but the sky was covered with clouds. Somehow I missed the path going to the eastern summit on Beinn a´Chroin. Anyway, as far as I know, the middle summit is the true summit at 942 meter even it has the smallest cairn.
beinn_achroin_summit_selfie.jpg
Summit selfie Beinn a´Chroin

Passing the western summit leads the path to a exposed descent with potential bum slides and requires some care.
an_caisteal_while_descending_from_beinn_achroin.JPG
Next target, An Caisteal from the steep descend from Beinn a´Chroin

beinn_chabhair_while_descending_from_beinn_achroin.JPG
Looking west, Beinn Chabhair could be reached from the bealach between Beinn a´Chroin and An Caisteal - but not this time

I kept pushing on, so I decided to continue up to An Caisteal, actually, I dont think there was any other alternative at this point. That is 190 meter of ascent which did not turn out to be as hard as it looked from the bealach.
an_caisteal_summit_selfie.jpg
Summit selfie An Caisteal

an_caisteal_two_cairns.JPG
Two cairns on the summit of An Caisteal - Loch Fyne in the background I think

From the summit, there is a long traverse along the twisted hill ridge with few ups and downs, but no issues at all.

Though, the descent down to the road by the River Falloch is boggy and steep in places. Not even sure I was following a path the first half of the descent. When I found and followed a path, it was very boggy and you had to find less wet spots to step outside the "path". I guess it is easier to follow the path up.

You will probably end up on the road at a gate. I did. From the gate you will have 1.5km to the A82. Finally, follow A82 2km back to Crianlarich.

The conclusion is, if you want to do this round of four munros, I recommend, if possible, to start at the car park at A82 in stead of starting from Crianlarich. The walk up through the forrest is NO fun and you wouldnt have to walk along A82 in the end. But, regardless these minor things, it was a good day in the hills.

4_munros_around_Crianlarich_648nodes.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

yesper
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:1
Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland