walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lui - revenge

Ben Lui - revenge

Postby yesper » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:37 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Date walked: 10/06/2019

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1666m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For two years ago, June 17, 2017, I was forced to retreat down the nothern ridge from Ben Lui due to strong wind and heavy rain. The story is, that bad visibility and bad preparation convinced me that I already had reached the real summit when I only was on the fake nothern summit. I could barely see 10-20 meters ahead that day, and stressed by a wind that made me crawl on my fours, somehow lead me to a bad decision. I headed down north in stead of continuing to the southern summit and on to Beinn a´Chleibh. When I realised this, I felt stupid and beaten up by the hill and the weather. Since then, I have looked for an opportunity to go back, get my revenge, and beat the hill...

The day arrived and I retraced the exact same route up from Dalrigh through Cononish (passed the restricted Gold mine area) and up through the lovely Coire Geothach. The weather was beautiful, sun and no wind. I decided to take the northern rim this time too, the path is easy to find and follow, it is steep but no real problems. What I didn't get last time, was plentiful of, this time: views across the highland, what a wonderful place to be on a day like this. The southern rim looked inviting too, but I was here for revenge, so I sticked to the same route I did two years ago. The southern rim is a good reason to come back some other day.

Went on directly to the southern real summit leaving no attention to the nothern summit this time. Been there, done that, for two years ago. This time, there was no time for fake summits...

Spent a good time at the summit enjoing the views before continuing to Beinn a'Chleibh. Always wondered how this hill could be classified as a munro. But if you take away Ben Lui (strange thought), you might get why. There is a bit of a climb from the bealach, but it is quite easily managed and this hill is probably one of this easiest munros to bag, at least when you is doing it from Ben Lui.

I decided it was a good day to do more hill walking even though I knew the weather was going to change to rain later. I traverse the grassy hill side below Ben Lui heading to Ben Oss, trying to keep a straight line without gaining or losing height.

Having done Ben Oss, I thought I would go around it south below the summit. I ended up in a path less, rocky, steep area, I finally decided it would be easier just to go the summit, and walk out by the path I knew from the summit. In this way, I made a small diversion, and probably I could have made a more directly line to the Ben Oss summit. Anyway, Ben Oss is added to my very short list of double bagged munros - this list only include Ben Nevis, Broadcairn and now Ben Oss.

At this point the rain started, and the rest of the walk was wet. The walk out - while following the Allt Coire Dubchraigh - was an endless boggy workout, and you will be happy when reaching the bridge at the end of the walk and the newly constructed lovely path crossing the area that must be a good candidate to "the buggiest place on Earth" award.

Another great day in the hills...

activity_3734838219_850nodes.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

yesper
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:1
Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland