walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corserine and Carlin's Cairn

Corserine and Carlin's Cairn

Postby rob munbett » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Corserine

Donalds included on this walk: Carlin's Cairn, Corserine

Date walked: 10/06/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.6 km

Ascent: 909m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Twenty years ago Corserine was my first hill after a year of chemotherapy so this was a strange kind of anniversary walk for me. At least this time I felt quite a bit fitter! I parked in the good parking area at the end of the single track road from Polharrow Bridge to Burnhead and set off along the forest roads (mostly hard-packed crushed stone) towards the hill in the distance.
P1040212(1).JPG
Corserine from the road past Fore Bush
I have to praise the estate for the excellent signs and waymarkers to aid walkers. I don't always like these but in the case of a start to a hill through a maze of forest tracks, they can be very useful. After a time, I came out of the forest on to the hillside where a good (ish) path led all the way to a large cairn at the edge of the very flat summit plateau. From here it was just a gentle stroll over to the trig and small cairn. From here there were great views, especially to the west over to Merrick.
P1040220(1).JPG
On the summit of Corserine looking over to Merrick
After a short break, I headed down to the 708m bealach between Corserine and Carlin's Cairn and went up the fairly steep slopes to reach the very large summit shelter cairn, which, fortunately wasn't required on this particular outing.
P1040225(1).JPG
Heading down and up to Carlin's Cairn
P1040232(1).JPG
The substantial cairn on Carlin's Cairn
I must admit that I didn't really enjoy the climb back up on to the Corserine plateau - my legs were beginning to feel it a bit - but at least the descent back to the edge of the forest and the roads back to the car was pretty gentle. All in all, a most enjoyable walk.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland