walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a,Ghlo

Beinn a,Ghlo

Postby Mekon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:52 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 11/06/2019

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 22 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn a’Ghlo - hit walk

A friend said he would take me on a walk on Munro’s near Blair Atholl. Unfortunately his ill health prevented him fulfilling his promise. I googled Blair Atholl Munro’s and Beinn a’Ghlo came up.

Grant and set off from Dundee at 8am and by 9.45 we were turning into the lay-by through the 3rd cattle grid.

We set off through the gate and up the track looking for first way mark of the hut. After a mile we turned left crossed the style and headed towards the path. A boggy start as we picked our way through The damp ground quickly making the newly built path which headed steeply uphill. The pathos new and in good condition for at least 2/3 of the ascent before it reaches where the construction was ongoing. We walked the rest off the ascent on path foundations. When complete this will be a steep but easy climb.

On attaining the summit the northerly wind his us and stayed with increasing intensity for the remainder of the walk.
The views from the top and indeed all through this walk were exceptional . To the west we could see the 3 sisters to the east we could see the paps of fife and to the north east, The Sidlaws. If I had my spot the summit app with me I could list more of the sights on view.

It was an easy walk across to the winding ridge and after a descent reached a sheltered point for lunch - some 2 and a half hours walk time having elapsed. Fed and watered we began the ascent of the second Munro of the day. Again a steep walk but mostly over a path made of rough stones and loose gravel. The wind was now buffeting us quite badly as we rounded the top of the Corrie heading to the summit.

The weather was dry and visibility good. Clouds were coming and going on the third summit which periodically disappeared and reappeared.

We dropped off the summit and then followed the path around the accent to the secondary summit. We then dropped down to the low point between second and third Munro’s where additional clothing layers were adorned to counter the increasing cold.

The climb wasn’t too ardous though underfoot conditions were deteriorating as the path became increasingly uneven and strewn with loose stones. On reaching the summit we branched right around the summit and cairn and approached it from the far side which was less of a climb over the rock field.

The visibility was poor at this stage as we were in cloud but this again quickly lifted.

Stickers were deployed as we headed back down the way we came. We lost the path briefly

I then had major fall bruising and cutting both knees and my left hand. It is a reminder not to lose concentration when walking on boulder strewn paths.

We progressed slowly and carefully as we looked for the route to descend. We chose the route from the Bealach, as opposed to Airgoid Bheinn. We saw the steepness of that route and decided with tiring limbs it would not be good for our health or indeed that of my knees.

We attained the descent path by a small cairn which took us to the right of the path we had originally ascended on. The descent was very uneven and very boggy. It made the old Kilbo path look like a motorway. Grant decided it was his turn to hit the deck and he too managed to bruise his knees, very supportive I thought.

Half way down after his fall we stopped for coffee painkillers and the rest of our packed lunch and to regather concentration before either of us fell over again. During the food break we were lucky enough to spot a herd of deer up on the ridge to our right.

The path disappeared and reappeared, the bogs interspersed with rock falls . We crossed the burn three time on the way down ending on the right side where we saw in the near distance the yellow brick road.

Some 40 minutes we were all Wizard of Oz like skipping down the newly constructed yellow thoroughfare, eating jelly babies and wine gums in equal measure.

We continued down the path in search of the hut from which our adventure began. Some hour and a half later the hut hoved into view.
The only drawback to progress was the small stream which ran across the path between us and the car. Fortunately it was easily forded and after another 20 minutes we arrived back to the car .

It was 6.50, we were tired hungry had sore knees and very pleased with ourselves.

Our journey home was delayed in Dunkeld while we devoured the best white pudding supper aver cooked. Why has this dish never appeared on Masterchef.

Beinn a’Ghlo is a great test the views and wilderness outstanding.
Mekon
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland