walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Helicopter, Goats & Litter on An Teallach

Helicopter, Goats & Litter on An Teallach

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 am

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 07/06/2019

Time taken: 8 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It takes me not much more than an hour to drive to the foot of An Teallach. I had attempted the trip the week before but driving in the constant rain I lost the desire to climb the hill, so I about turned and spent my time doing some other stuff. I've seen the day when I would go out in all weathers and enjoy the challenge of horrendous conditions but not anymore. I feel a bit sorry for folk who have climbed An Teallach and not seen a thing. If that's you, you need to revisit. :D
I had decided to go up from Dundonnell and used the path that walkhighlands advises against, alongside the Allt a'Mhuilinn, but I'm sure its quicker.
After 2 hours 45 mins I was on top of Bidean a'Ghlas Thuill looking at the classic view.

An Teallach
20190607_092057 - Copy.jpg

Another 45 mins and I was on Sgurr Fiona

The Corrag Buidhe :shock:
20190607_100409 - Copy.jpg

I heard a distant buzz and then the unmistakeable thump thump thump of the rescue helicopter as it closed in rapidly and swept round the corrie.
In the spotlight
20190607_101139 - Copy.jpg

Getting closer
20190607_101118 - Copy.jpg

….and closer
20190607_101054 - Copy.jpg

An impressive sight and sound directly below me, it headed round the back of the Corrag Buidhe out of sight, then after about 20 mins was gone. I decided to go over the pinnacles and then u-turn back on the bypass. Before that I tripped over the cairn on Fiona and a painted stone fell out. On the back of the stone was a name and a number. For some reason I decided to say farewell to it and throw it off the side of the hill, to me it was "I woz ere" graffiti that would encourage more. I doubt if it will ever be seen again but it will be on the mountain forever which may or may not please its creator :? On my return journey I tried the WH route over Sron a Choire & Meall Garbh as a slight variation and disturbed this fellow and his pals basking in the sun.

Billy the Kid?
20190607_122341 - Copy.jpg

A great solo outing on An Teallach with few others about.

When I got back to Inverness I went to the doctor and said to him-
"Doctor, I keep dreaming that I'm a mountain goat!"
He said -
"Has this been going on since you were a kid?"

:D :D :D
Sunset tripper

Re: Helicopter, Goats & Litter on An Teallach

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:42 am

Admirably succinct. Superb pics of AT - definitely a mountain to which the adjective "iconic" can be properly applied.

Strange conversation with your doctor.... :wink:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Admirably succinct. Superb pics of AT

Hear hear. Loved this :clap: Looks as though the helicopter was out for a lower leg injury. Dundonnell MRT and Coastguard heli.
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby bar72 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Having just Compleated first round in May, I'm going to revisit all the summits I did in horrendous weather again. Fortunately, AT was one I was up in similar fine conditions that you've had. Some cracking photo's there
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Fionas:70   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:10 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Admirably succinct. Superb pics of AT - definitely a mountain to which the adjective "iconic" can be properly applied.

Strange conversation with your doctor.... :wink:

Cheers Alteknacker - maybe I should give up the jokes. :D

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:Admirably succinct. Superb pics of AT

Hear hear. Loved this :clap: Looks as though the helicopter was out for a lower leg injury. Dundonnell MRT and Coastguard heli.

Thanks for your comments Emma. I had a feeling the helicopter was not on a training exercise. Hopefully not a serious injury.

bar72 wrote:Having just Compleated first round in May, I'm going to revisit all the summits I did in horrendous weather again. Fortunately, AT was one I was up in similar fine conditions that you've had. Some cracking photo's there

Thanks bar 72. I agree hills like An Teallach have to be seen in decent conditions. All the best with your revisits. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:25 am

Brilliant photos - and the goat one is fantastic!

The painted stone in the summit cairn is a bit like a geocache. The activity is mostly done by children but some adults find it therapeutic to paint stones - it is popular with people with neurodiversity issues such as autism.

The idea is that you paint a stone and hide it, then someone finds it and takes it somewhere else. (They can also get in touch with you on Facebook, apparently - but my knowledge of Facebook is zero!

The stone's "travels" can also be on Facebook - a bit like the gnome in the film Amelie.

It is probably a craze that will die out soon. Last year every tree in my local woods had a "fairy door" at the bottom of it; they have all disappeared now.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 pm

Cheers Tim. My knowledge of Facebook is probably similar to yours. Hadn't heard of that craze before, fairly harmless I guess. I will look out for more painted stones to liberate. :D
Sunset tripper

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland