walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bald, red head and going grey - 2 hills describing me

Bald, red head and going grey - 2 hills describing me

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:09 pm

Route description: Maol Chean-dearg ascent, Coulags

Munros included on this walk: Maol Chean-dearg

Corbetts included on this walk: An Ruadh-stac

Date walked: 10/06/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1121m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hill of the bald, red head. In effect, me. Initially, I had considered a much bigger day - the Achnashellach 3 or 5, with Bearnais bothy thrown in but the logistics of slogging a heavy pack over 3 Munros sounded unpleasant. I also wanted to try and run something. What I decided was to hike in to Coulags bothy, dump my large pack and run light up on to this Munro, with adjoining An Ruadh-Stac. If I felt fit enough, I could get back to the bothy, have some lunch and then try for Sgurr Ruadh and Fuar Tholl. In the end, I picked sensibly.

I hadn't been to Coulags or this glen before so virgin territory is always taken in with utmost attention. The bothy was a quick 40 minute pad and was impeccably clean throughout. A definite overnighter would be had here. I packed my light gear and sped off along the stalker's path up the glen and past the infamous dog-tethering stone, a portent of things to come. It was cloudy but mild and I sensed an improving day. I rapidly made ascent up the path and passed a lady with her 5 spaniels! She too was going for the Munro and we would bump into each other several times over the course of the day. I reached the bealach in good time and then began the yomp up the scree paths to the bald, red head. I had whacked on the Factor Duffelcoat just in case. It was quite a tough ascent, especially the boulders before the summit cairn. From there, I had some liquid and food and watched as the cloud rolled away to reveal Torridon. It felt a little anti-climactic after having been blown away by the views to An Ruadh-Stac and beyond.

I looked back to Fuar Tholl and Sgurr Dearg and thought that combining those with the Munro I was on PLUS the Corbett would be a very tough day. I therefore decided to just relax and take my time, which was essential getting back to the scree slopes to the bealach. From here, I nipped down to the large lochain and refreshed my water bottle before getting ready for the 360m ascent of the Corbett. What a stunning place to be, with views back through the gap to a Corbett I'd done a few years ago, Beinn Damh. The climb up the slabs and awkward path was arduous and I began to feel my lack of hill fitness kicking in. I was elated to reach the top and touched the eventual summit. I sat down and texted my wife to say all was ok and that I'd be lunching at the bothy before a walk back out and finding a hotel. As it was 1345, I had plenty of time ahead of me. The descent demanded absolute attention and I was grateful to get back down to safe ground. All that remained was to run down the fabulous stalker's path to the bothy, where I cooked up a fab veggie bean chilli. I even had it with a can of beer, which was sublime. An easy wander back to the car and it was another fab hill day. This combination offers one of the best hill-walking experiences in Scotland, in my opinion.
IMG_0719.jpg
Coulags bothy
IMG_0722.jpg
Path to bealach
IMG_0724.jpg
An Ruadh-Stac
IMG_0727.jpg
Majestic An Ruadh-Stac with sea beyond
IMG_0736.jpg
Beinn Damh across one of the many lochains in this area
IMG_0738.jpg
Looking down from An Ruadh-Stac
Attachments
IMG_0735.jpg
Looking back to Fuar Tholl
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Bald, red head and going grey - 2 hills describing me

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Its a pretty good description of me too... :D

A fabulous area this, and the wee lochan, surrounded by the wild bare rocks below An Ruadh-Stac, is a truly special place. Thanks for reminding me of it.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland