walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Happy Hundred on the Beinn Dearg four

A Happy Hundred on the Beinn Dearg four

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:35 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg - the Four Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 08/06/2019

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 28.9 km

Ascent: 1600m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another cunning plan comes to fruition ... well, almost. Gammy was supposed to be joining Bod, Valerie, Quincy (Heather) and myself in the far north to tackle the Beinn Dearg circuit. Sadly, he was unable to make it for personal reasons, so we had to just push on regardless. It was to be a particularly special day for one member of the party, and just very special for the rest of us. Oh, and we were joined by my nine-year old Border Terrier Maisie for what was to be the biggest walk of her life! (Still not speaking to me) :( :(
On the previous evening we had been fortified with fish and chips and beers at the Seaforth, strictly for carb loading purposes you understand, and were rewarded with a rather fine sunset:

Girding loins and stuff at the start:

We set off for the long, long walk in through the forest and then up the excellent stalkers' path to the distant Bealach an Lochan Uaine. During the week the forecast had had a distinct whiff of "iffiness" about it, but we were blessed with dry weather - at least to start with.
Heather was amused by the amendment to the sign at the start of the forest, but did promise to buy us all a beer if the pub was open on top of Beinn Dearg ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

First view of the hills:

Upwards and onwards ....:

Showing off:

A small burn to ford:

Maisie shows how it's done:

"Come on you lot!"

Lochan Lathail, on the way up to the bealach, the path zig-zags the slopes beyond:

Heather upsetting the dog by pointing out we still had a way to go. You can just see the destitution wall at the top of the slope.

Nearing the top of Beinn Dearg now, following the wall.

Seanna Braigh in the distance (according to Bod), with Ben Klibreck in the very far distance:

First views into Assynt:

One man and his dog on the summit of Beinn Dearg:

An Teallach:

After hanging about on the first Munro, it was time to head off to the second one, Cona Mheall, for a very important event.
Cona Mheall from the slopes of Beinn Dearg, there is a sort of path which heads to the right to avoid the worst of the boulder fields, before turning up the summit ridge:

Between the first two Munros you get this wonderful view down into Choire Ghranda, with it's loch:

And then when you get to the summit of Con Mheall you get this view popping up in front of you, so many congratulations to Quincy/Heather on her 100. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Heather tells me that her ambition was just to do 100 Munros; I have a sneaking suspicion her next ambition is just to do another 182 ... :lol: :lol:

Valerie and Bod enjoying the moment.

The dog was suitably indifferent:

At this point the skies to the north and west were darkening and we heard distant thunder. As we got back to the Bealach for the third time, the heavens opened with rain and hail, waterproofs were donned and we climbed easy slopes to the summit of the third Munro, Meall nan Ceapraichean:

Rain sweeping in from the sea:

As quickly as it came, it went again after about half an hour, leaving us with clear views to Ullapool, and out to sea to the distant Hebrides:

Ahead to the fourth Munro, Eididh nan Clach Geala, with the bump of Ceann Garbh (a Brian), to get over first before the descent to the bealach.

The view of the long walk out didn't fill us with the same initial enthusiasm we'd felt earlier in the day ....

The Paramo Kids moseying off the third Munro ...

A last view back to the first two Munros of the day:

Paramo Kids making their way down to the bealach, filled with lochans:

An Teallach in silhouette from the bealach:

A range of emotions on reaching the summit of the fourth Munro, Heather looking tired and emotional (she had done three Munros the previous day to be fair), Bod looking forward to a pint, and Valerie looking like she could do it all again ... :lol: :lol:

Hometime, the bar was calling. So we walked off with glorious views of the Assynt hills in front of us:

It was a long walk out. We descended by the WH route and quickly picked up the stalkers paths, but someone had been along in the day and stuck an extra couple of kilometres on them.
All in all a wonderful hill day with the very best of company, pottering along, talking nonsense and adding hours of blether time onto the total.
But we made it to the pub.
And toasted Heather's milestone.
THE END.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Re: A Happy Hundred on the Beinn Dearg four

Postby Bod » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:56 pm

A wonderful day, one that we'll always remember with great fondness. Great conditions and special company sharing the joys of mountains :) :) :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Quincy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Great report and photos. It was so lovely to have you all to share my 100 even wee Maisie.
Quincy
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:46
Fionas:15   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:24   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:09 am

Looks like I missed out on a grand day, hopefully I manage next time
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:41 pm

"All in all a wonderful hill day with the very best of company, pottering along, talking nonsense and adding hours of blether time onto the total."

That's just what I was thinking as I approached the end of the report.

Great stuff :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Did these 4 on a very wet day on way to the infamous Inchnadamph meet, did not see a single thing all day. Some great views missed going by your photos
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Coop » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:36 pm

As someone said to me a while back
"Hail Centurion :clap: "

I was on these 4 the day before and had a fantastic day as well
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:04 am

That looked most enjoyable - pity GLW couldn't join you (but that probably helped with the weather :shh: :wink: )

and many congratulations to Heather :clap:

Coop wrote:As someone said to me a while back
"Hail Centurion :clap: "

No comment :wink: Here's one of the comments from my #100 report :wink: :wink:

wrote:Hail Centurion!
;)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland