walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Mounth

White Mounth

Postby kabu1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:06 am

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 15/06/2019

Time taken: 9.45 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1524m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A day walk with Linlithgow Ramblers incorporating a sleepover at Ballater Hostal on the preceeding day. Mixed emotions as this was the first A walk since Isobel (Borders) was struck and killed by lightening on the Easterly Mamores. Niccy and Erna (co-leaders) and Diane (injured) were all out; pouring with rain in Ballater; luckily dry by the time we got out of the cars. Eric was leading todays walk and as always set a very moderate pace up the slopes to Lochnager from Loch Muick car park. I opted to skirt around the rim with Kath McNeil and Simon but the mist didn't clear much so the views down into the corrie containing Lochnagar were very limited but did see a ptarmigan in mixed plumage. We did however see the snow bridge we had seen when ascending on the far side. After a first lunch we set off for Carn a Choire Bhoidheach where we had a moment's silence for Isobel. Then it was onwards over rolling morland to Carn an t-Sagairt Mor. At some point we saw a mountain hare, made the summit then nestled into the west side of the hill for 2nd lunch around 1.45. Off again to Cairn Bannoch with its tor - on which I managed to wrench my ribs - felt something 'pop' hopefully only a mild injury. and then finally to Broad Cairn with good views of Loch Muick. Then a long descent to the Loch across the diagonal path with lovely scenery all the way, a final stop where this path met the main path down from Broad Cairn and then another hour back to the cars. After a quick coffee and face wash at the hostel I headed home & arrived 9.30pm
kabu1
Hill Bagger

Munros:253   Corbetts:14
Fionas:9   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland